help with gears.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

t8kinover.
Goped
Goped

help with gears.

Post by t8kinover. »

Hello board.
I am pushing 4000 miles on my 9:1 gears I put them in my bike when it was stock and it is no longer stock. I am ready to upgrade to a diffrent gear ratio but im not sure if i put primary or secondary gears in. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Elite-S-S ... e6&vxp=mtr here is a picture of the same 9:1 gears i have. Now I see VT cycles only has secondary gears listed would that be whats recomended could someone please help me.

So if I ordered the gears from VT would it just be a simple pull and press the gear back on the shaft or would i have to find my stock gear to do something else or what is recomended?

Im hoping to run a low 8/ high 7 : 1 ratio

Thank you in advance to anyone that helps
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: help with gears.

Post by LMH »

Most people don't change the primary, if you have a primary swap with 9.0 ratio then Do the math as to which secondaries will make it what you want. Either way you will have to press off the counter to use the new aftermarket secondaries. I find swapping primary is better for the speed of the bike. Swapping secondaries always feels more solid when taking off. I think it has to do with the cvt and the primaries rotations slowing down thus giving more speed but less power due to reduction at the primary. I'm not sure just a theory and have not looked into it in depth.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Combining primaries with the 9:1s will give you a stupid-tall ratio, like 5:1. So you need to press off your current 9:1 and remount your stocker if you go with the primary setup. Secondaries are available all the way down to 6.3:1 - search "tooth tally" in titles or drift over to Tech Docs for more information. Since you have to press off the 9:1s anyway, this is the better option. 7.58 is pretty tall even for a stout 72cc build. 8.44s or 7.97s are probably better suited to your "non-stock" power.

Except for hard-to-find straight-cut gears, which whine but transfer power a bit more efficiently than the quieter helical-cut variety, it doesn't matter how your math works out. All that really matters is the number of spins at the clutch shaft per wheel rotation.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Perhaps the malossi are straight cut then? I've never noticed when comparing.
t8kinover.
Goped
Goped

Post by t8kinover. »

Thank you, so i am assuming the picture of the gears i have posted from e bay (and the ones i installed into my bike) are secondarys?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Sorry, yes those are secondaries!
t8kinover.
Goped
Goped

Post by t8kinover. »

Thank you! :peace: