seeking advice carb tuning

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

t8kinover.
Goped
Goped

seeking advice carb tuning

Post by t8kinover. »

Hello forum,
I just purchased a 26mm flatside carb and have the tuning pretty close. I can tell that i lost some top end compared to the 28mm carb it replaced. I am running a 45 pilot, 145 main, needle is in the middle clip. (kinda weird i had a 30 pilot in the 28mm and wanted to go a step smaller too). My bike, corsa (ported), pg long, 9:1, high speed variator, sef ramp plate, ct intake 26mm oko flatside behind a uni filter. Im not sure what weights i have in my vari or the centerspring the drivetrain is next after I get new gears.

My issue, I just wanted some feedback before I take my carb apart yet another time. But I beleave it is the needle clip that needs adjusting. I can hold the throttle wide open all day and my temps will not get over 340. But if I cruise 35-45 mph my bike likes to get hot. 400 snuck up on me yesterday scary. So it would be safe to say that im a bit lean 1/8 to 3/4 throttle (the 35-45 mph range)? So to fix this I would want to move the clip on the needle down a slot raising the needle making the circut richer?

Any other advise would be great too thank you.
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Re: seeking advice carb tuning

Post by cruzingratiot »

Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Raising the existing needle a click or two is one way to richen mid-throttle mixture. Another way is a different needle profile. Treatland sells a 10-needle Variety Pack for the OKO carbs; you measure them and find a skinnier one. This may be more Art than Science. I'm not sure if I have ever been able to find the right one, but trial and error - with a little anticipation and luck - can bring about linear jetting. Maybe a true Carb Guru will chime in here?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
t8kinover.
Goped
Goped

Post by t8kinover. »

Thankyou for the advice I guess I need to keep a journal type of thing because I feel like I am going in circles with the tuning of my carb. I did move the clip down a slot and it is fourstroking now mid range I assume it would b a rich 4 stroke. So what is next? I have to try a leaner main jet hmm kinda stumped but anyways
I will change my main jet tommrow and will document on here how my carb is set up for personal reference or evin better if it could be a assistiance to someone Thanks hondaspree.net

:peace:
t8kinover.
Goped
Goped

Post by t8kinover. »

Today I took out a 135 main replaced it with a 138
Changed the pilot to a 35 from a 40
Moved needle clip one above center from one below

I kno it is recomended to do one adjustment at a time. Ive had these two jets in before just never with the needle clip moved from center.

I was able to go for a short ride and it did seem to respond to throttle better the rain told me to go back in. My pilot jets go by 5's starting at 30 going to a 55 or 60. I think i need to be inbetween the 35 and 40 pilot.

Taking advice too.
Ill update soon
t8kinover.
Goped
Goped

Post by t8kinover. »

Update,

I got to go for a good ride today trying out the new carb settings and it still is overheating mid throttle. When crusing W.O.T. temps never got over 350 I did notice that it is running a little hotter all around. So I am stumped as to what to try next I guess the next richer main that I have will be put in there tommrow. with a new update.
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

Why did you replace the 28mm?

What needle is in the 26mm?

I would say that your main is ok if not a little rich. 350 degrees is good. even if it goes up to 380 you should be ok. I would just leave the main where it is for now until you get the part throttle straightened out.

Let me know which needle your 26 has.

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here