86 Sprees dying and not restarting after short rides

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

nbyrne13
Noob
Noob

86 Sprees dying and not restarting after short rides

Post by nbyrne13 »

Hi All,

New to spree's but have been into 50cc mopeds and bikes for a while now. I got an 86 spree in a trade and want to get it up and running reliably. The Bike startes via electric and kick start on the first try from a cold start. However, after I have run the bike for a little while ( 1-5 miles) and turn it off, the bike will not start back up again until I wait about 10-15 mins. Does anybody know what could be causing this. Other than this the bike runs great.

I have already replaced the battery, cleaned the tank, replaced the petcock, rebuilt the carb and replaced the autobystarter. I also put on a new belt and de-carbonized the exhuast by putting it in a fire, this significgantly helped with prior sluggish exceleration.

I have a new air filter on the way to play with.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dio Dawg
BMX
BMX

Re: 86 Sprees dying and not restarting after short rides

Post by Dio Dawg »

Possible stuck piston ring. I would check bore condition. CDI or coil bad spark??
nbyrne13
Noob
Noob

Post by nbyrne13 »

Hi Dio,

The CDI is good, I did replace that with another one my buddy had, and the Coil produces a good spark. I will look at the pistion ring tonight.

thanks
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

This may be too simplistic, but can you get it to start by cracking the throttle a little? Sometimes the bystarter too quickly goes back to its "COLD START" default position but the engine is too warm for "choke". Giving it a bit more air by opening the throttle a bit might allow it to fire. All my scooters - including those with OKO carbs - have seemed to need a bit of throttle to start while still warm.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Does it run correctly on the short ride? I'm wondering if maybe the idle mixture and idle speed aren't quite right and it takes the 15 or more min for it to cool off so the bystarter does its thing and makes it rich enough to start it. But when it's hot its too lean for it to start with out the bystarter helping.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Good suggestions so far from the others.
My .02:
-Try taking the gas cap off when it stalls out. Maybe the cap breather is clogged and wont allow fuel to exit the tank to refill the carb.
-Could be a clogged idle circuit and running initially off of the bystarter mixture until warm, but partially cracking the throttle should allow it to at least start again.
-Although less likely, it might be insufficient flow through the fuel circuit from petcock exit-carb bowl (clogged/reversed in-line filter or carb circuit) causing slow bowl refilling.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80