85 Spree Front Brake Frozen

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

BigPapa
BMX
BMX

85 Spree Front Brake Frozen

Post by BigPapa »

Hey all - was wondering if you could help. Been working on an 85 spree. The one thing that has me puzzled is the front brake. The rear brake works just fine. I cannot compress the front brake handle. The lever on the front wheel that the adjusting nut rides against moves freely. I've read some threads about a frozen brake cable but don't quite understand. Does that mean the cable is rusted inside the cable housing so it can't move? Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!!!
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 85 Spree Front Brake Frozen

Post by paulpauly7 »

thats exactly what it sounds like .Remove the cable and check it out .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Remove the cable from the hub and see if the brake lever on the hub moves by hand. If it does, you need a new cable.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
BigPapa
BMX
BMX

Post by BigPapa »

I received a new (used) front brake cable in the mail today. Is there a trick to removing the screw that the brake and lever pivots on? I removed the nut on the bottom, but cannot get the screw loose. I scared I'm going to strip the head. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
BigPapa
BMX
BMX

Post by BigPapa »

I ended up cutting the old cable to get it out so the screw didn't need to come out. I've fished the new cable from the hand lever down to the front tire then ran into another problem. You need to feed the cable throught the hole with a horizontal slot that is connected to the wheel but it is too big. Is there a trick?