Wont start, but turns over

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Swehbag
Noob
Noob

Wont start, but turns over

Post by Swehbag »

Hello.. I have an 85 spree that i was told the only thing wrong with it was the fuse kept "popping" so i got new fuses. I also got a new battery, new spark plug and new gas in this lil guy. No the engine turns over with i go to start it, but it doesn't catch to start all the way up. I unscrewed the drain screw and oil gas dripped out so i figure thats good. moved to the spark plug and it is sparking so now what? I just want to get this thing running so bad but I'm stuck! someone help me please! :)
motormike

Re: Wont start, but turns over

Post by motormike »

...if it "keeps popping fuses", then you have some diagnostic work to do in order to eliminate that problem.
Since it is turning over, but not firing, you should drizzle a small amount of pre-mixed fuel
into the carburetor throat to establish whether or not it will indeed fire.
STARTING FLUID is HARMFUL to the cylinder and should be avoided.
If the motor attempts to run on the pre-mix, and then dies,
it is almost certain that the carb is dirty and varnished with old gas.
Remove and verify that ALL JETS and PASSAGES are open and flowing.
Often times, several cleanings are required to achieve a clean and proper functioning carburetor.
Careful examination is a major key to successful cleaning... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

What mike said. The truth he speaks. I bet the carb is gunked up and the hole in the float bowl that feeds the idle pilot and starting enrichment is clogged up nicely. ;-) check over all of the air connections as well. You can always try choking the carb with your fingers or rag to get it to suck some fuel into the carb.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Swehbag
Noob
Noob

Post by Swehbag »

Ok so....
I took the carb off.. Only once so far. The bottom reservoir was filled with thick reddish gunk so I scraped and scrubbed with a rag a flat head screw driver. Then I unscrewed the main jet (? Not sure if it is the main but it was the one you have to unscrew) that was clogged I couldn't blow through it at all. I poked a little paper clip through it and I can blow through it now. I took the bobber and other jet out and blew through all the ports and they all seemed free of build up. I put it all back on and tried the fuel in the carb trick and it started up and then went full rpm back she'll spinning and then died. (Question for later about the full rpm, is there a choke?)

So I figured it was a fuel getting to the carb problem. Realizing there was a full tank of gas when I took the two fuel hoses off the carb, I was surprised that they were both bone dry. I bought a new petcock today installed that hooked it up and now instead of turning over it just buzzes at me. I checked the spark plug (which I just bought) and it is no longer producing spark! It also appeared to be a little wet?

I have yet to open up the rest of the engine, hoping I don't have to just yet to get it running, but for now I will take the carb back off and clean it again!! :) I have to do something while I wait for response :) thanks guys
Swehbag
Noob
Noob

Post by Swehbag »

Also it seems like sometimes instead of just buzzing at me it will turn over but just very slowly. I checked the battery and it's still at 12v but it defiantly sounds like its slow because of power but it's not the battery.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Only 12volts sounds like the battery may need charging. 12volt batteries are usually 13volts or more when fully charged. Make sure the battery has water in all of the cells. If any are low top them up with distilled water. Then charge it up. I bet if you put a volt meter on the battery and crank it, you will see the voltage drop down to near zero. Sounds like you have the carb kinda figured out. But you have to clear the little hole for in the float bowl that feeds the starting circuit. That carb doesn't have a choke it has a bystarter which does the same thing. Its the black plug that has the yellow and green wires coming out it that's in the top of the carb. Make sure you get the hoses from the petcock in the right places. The upper hose goes to the carb and the lower hose osbthe vacuum hose and goes to the intake manifold on the brass barb. How freshbis the fuel in the tank. I'd pull the fuel line off of the carb and suck on the vacuum line and see if any fuel come out of the fuel line. If yes then put the hoses back and then open the drain screw on the carb and cranknthe motor until fuel flows. If no fuel comes from the petcock when you apply vacuum to it the screen in the tank may be clogged. You will get this thing purring in no time. :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock