Underpowered spree Needs a new top end?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

seabass1980
Noob
Noob

Underpowered spree Needs a new top end?

Post by seabass1980 »

A bit of history: Been d*cking around with my carb trying to get my Spree working but I'm convinced that its not the carb...

1. I went through the carb again cleaned it and reinstalled it... still under powered..
tried it rich, tried it lean, tried it just right.... still slow here is a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJoW_QynLU

2. I pulled the plug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2K4pZRJNJc

3. wow i have a LOT of gunk in the cylinder... i think someone ran this without an air filter... i did the finger test and there IS compression, but its hard to get your finger in the to create a really strong seal...my local motorcycle shop said they would have to charge me for 15-30mins of work to screw in the compression tester... lame... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qFvLsbBfoA

4. here is a video of the two scoots to show the difference in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AowtEzh3iA

what next?
seabass1980
Noob
Noob

Re: Underpowered spree Needs a new top end?

Post by seabass1980 »

bajack
Goped
Goped

Post by bajack »

did the mixture screw adjustment give you the highest idle rpm between 1 1/4 turns out to 3 1/4 turns out? was it less? if it was less, like aroudn 1 turn or 3/4 or turned all the way in. and if it doesnt quit when you close the screw then you probably got an airleak.

check the compression with a compression guage. you can rent them or buy one like at an autozone.
seabass1980
Noob
Noob

Post by seabass1980 »

Yeah, turning the mix screw all the way in kills the motor and screwing much past 1 1/2 gets the little sucker really going!

In all the instruction I've received it I see "reset the idle" what does that actually mean?

Also spreetard, form reddit suggested trying the exhaust and carb from my working spree to rule out them out...

Has anyone seen the video of my cylinder? Is that normal?!?

Seb
bajack
Goped
Goped

Post by bajack »

if you swap carbs, then if yours is clogged or something, itll rule out thats whats making your scooter underpowered. if you swap exhausts, and thatll tell u if thats whats making it underpowered.

it sounds different than the other one.

an exhaust can clog up.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Don't buy the aftermarket carb. They aren't really proven. I think you need to look at the cylinder and its condition. You may have a gunked up exhaust or carboned up exhaust port. That would cause a rich condition or the cylinder is just worn and shiny. So a hone and a new piston and rings could really wake it up. And don't pay to have someone screw in a compression tester. It will only cost what you will likley pay to have it checked. Or do loan a tool at the local auto parts shop for free. With refundable deposit though. You need to download the manual if you haven't already. The reset the idle is referring to setting the idle speed and idle air mixture. They are done together. The way the idle air mixture screw works is... Turn it in you go richer turn it out you go leaner. The stock starting point is 1 7/8 turns out. So 1 1/12 is only getting close the starting point. The manual tells how to set the idle speed and mixture. That has to be done. You need to check all of the air connectons to make sure the air hose from the airbox is right. And there has to be a proper air filter out n the airbox oiled with the correct oil specified or it runs wrong. Reading a plug after a half tank of gas only gives certain information. If its snow white at that point its prob lean and has an air leak. If its solsolidack and dry its really rich. Of its black and wet its really rich. Now the true way to read a plug is after a plug chop with a new plug. Losearch plug chop. And you read the plug at the very base of the electrode porcelain. You need a flashlight most of the time. . so here is where I would start. 1. Check all air connections 2. Check compression 2. If compression is in spec set idle air mixture and idle speed. 3. Still not right clean carb and make sure the hole that feeds the idle/pilot circuit is clear. 4. Pull exhaust and check the port and the inside of the pipe at the flange for carbon build up. 5. No excess carbon? Now Pull the he cylinder head and have a look at the piston for real and the condition of the cylinder walls. I bet the cylinder walls are shiny as a mirror.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
speedy25
Goped
Goped

Post by speedy25 »

Good job Pat for covering everything!

When I started repairs on my Spree it had obvious compression problems. When I pulled the piston the rings were worn badly. I installed a fresh piston kit and that solved the problem. Pulling the top end off is your next step seabass.

-SP