Got gas, got fire. No start.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

waltz
Noob
Noob

Got gas, got fire. No start.

Post by waltz »

Scooter won't start. Has gas. Has spark. Turns over. Is there a timing deal anywhere?

It ran and then made a grinding noise (like something stripped - may or may not be important) and stopped running. Flywheel turns when cranked.

What's the 'autostart' thing?

Any ideas? Timing shack is a long way from my pit! Walking s$%^ks.

Thanks.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Compression?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

noiseguy wrote:Compression?
yeh check compression.

how to test: 1) take out your spark plug, 2) place your finger firmly over the hole, and 3) try to turn over the piston. If there is enough compression, your finger should pop right off.

(in case you haven't, try starting fluid by spraying it in the carb, then trying to start it)
projects galore :nerd:
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

wont start

Post by darat »

it might be because the flywheel key is striped and messed up the timeing or idk what eles
waltz
Noob
Noob

Post by waltz »

Thanks for the replies.

Flywheel is still pressed on, moves when cranked, and I can't move it (not loose).

I cranked it with no plug and it makes the 'puffing' sound like it is going up and down as required. Will try the finger deal and see how much compression is there.

The spark is enough to make me twitch when I get near the wire and crank, so I guess it is enough to fire it off(?).

The grinding noise has me a little worried. Sounds like the starter was hung after cranking. That sort of noise, but that's not it, if that makes any sense. Just trying to describe it. This is an electric start only model.

What is that Auto-ByStart thing do. Any need to check that? May do that anyway. Need to read the manual anyway.

Any more ideas appreciated. Hate to break-down and haul it to the Honda shop. Ugh.

Thanks again.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Don't haul it to the Honda shop. The repair will quickly exceed value.

You need to check compression, preferably with a compression tool. If you have fuel and fire (and it ran before) you may have blown a ring/piston. Go to the autoparts store and do the "free tool rental" thing if you must, or borrow. A Spree needs at least 90 PSI to start, and should be re-ringed at 100 PSI.

If it's making "grinding" sounds, you need to remove the LHS belt cover and see what's up. There's a little starter pinion that need light lubrication once in awhile. Carefully spray/work it with WD-40 and blow it out with compressed air. You don't want silicon on the belt pulleys.

Don't mess with the Auto-by-start. That's the choke circuit. If it worked before it probably still does (I'm guessing your grinding sound is the problem.) Read the tech docs for how to check this.

What are you racing, anyway?
waltz
Noob
Noob

Post by waltz »

Sounds like a weekend project coming up.

Thanks.