Hello all new to the forum [oil advice]

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

lxxtsy
Noob
Noob

Hello all new to the forum [oil advice]

Post by lxxtsy »

Hello all, my name is Joe and I recently picked up a 1993 Honda SR50 scooty with 1085 miles on it. I noticed the oil is low and in the storage compartment the previous owner must of been using semi-synthetic Lucas 2 cycle oil. The oil color in the scooter is red and the lucas oil is greenish. I assuming I should drain the old oil and replace it the lucas brand? Not sure if the previous owner was mixing 2 different oils together.

Thanks
Attachments
scooty1.jpg
scooty1.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
Last edited by lxxtsy on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Hello all new to the forum

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

welcome I like the color scheme on your scoot. always a good idea to get new fluids in. as for mixing oils I dont have an answer. I sometimes mix oils as sometimes I get caught in a pinch and have to add oil.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
lxxtsy
Noob
Noob

Post by lxxtsy »

thanks Rip and Graphite. Mostly likely will change the oil, should I keep using the Lucas brand oil or is there a specific brand I should be using?
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

Welcome!! Motul is the shizzz. Stay away from Redline 2t oils
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
bigreed
Goped
Goped

Re: Hello all new to the forum [oil advice]

Post by bigreed »

Oil is an opinion game unless someone has actually tried them all.

Ive had no problems running thru 2 gallons of redline syn kart oil fleet of 10 gopeds and the 70cc elite.

Right now I'm using castor 927, it seems to spoog a lot more (after further research) it doesn't burn off till over 420┬░ (my max temp is 370 or so) this will probably my last remixed 5 gallon with that stuff.
Gonna check out amsoil dominator maybe blue marble really any synthetic thats a little less pricy lol

On your stock bike running the oil pump you can run just about anything. i'd just try to stay away from marine oils and the realllly cheap stuff from dusty shelfs
99 Elite 50S GPS coming soon 9520rpm
|Airsal|Scorpion|Arreche|Uni|outerwear|ncy|8.4|TrailTech

87 elite 50 S :-D
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You not only have to try them all, but you have to set up comparison tests of long duration and/or destructive testing. It all costs more money than most small companies can afford, so they make up for it with Hype. Hype is just blowing smoke. It's OK as long as it's blue fragrant smoke. BigReed is right. GN2 will let your stock engine live a good long life. If you stray from Honda-approved oils, just be sure the oil you choose is intended for Air-Cooled engines with oil injection. Some stuff is designed for Premix only.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
lxxtsy
Noob
Noob

Post by lxxtsy »

Thank everyone with your input
speedy25
Goped
Goped

Post by speedy25 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:just be sure the oil you choose is intended for Air-Cooled engines with oil injection. Some stuff is designed for Premix only.
Thats a good answer. I'll add to it: Only use motorcycle oils. The 2 stroke oils at the nearby discount stores for other uses are not very good quality.

I have used Spectro 2T for years and its also red so it could be what you already have in your tanks.

As previously noted, everyone has their own opinion on oil so find one you can get easily and use it.

-SP
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

Everyone know your suppose to use honda 2 stroke injector oil but me i personally like yamalube its purple viscosity is not so thick like some other oils and its perfect for breaking in new pistons and stuff also its pretty costly but hey you get your moneys worth
808EERPS48
Goped
Goped

Post by 808EERPS48 »

Lucas 2 stroke oil is good for stock bores, i prefer castor for 72cc what does everyone else use? redline, motul explanations are greatly appreciated
84 Spree dio ready
Youtube me: Go RYAN Pro
True 72cc
70+/F/72
Reppin it for the 2+ class
Eastsydah Rydah Productions
#Handodat