85 Spree Dead battery? and a fuse question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Vintagegirl85
BMX
BMX

85 Spree Dead battery? and a fuse question

Post by Vintagegirl85 »

:newb: Hello! I just bought a spree last week. Starts up pretty quick and runs great, no stalling issues. I let it sit two days and it took two or three tries to get it going. I ran it around the parking lot for a bit, as it has no plates yet :) The next day I went to start and it was turning over slow like it has a dead battery. I tried a few times and eventually it now just makes a buzzing sound. I then read you shouldnt try longer than 3 sec to start it or you can fry the starter? Ug...women so impatient lol. I should have read all this before I monkeyed with it. Lol Anyhow I'm hoping its just a dead batt. Owner had said he bought it new. Its a gel and I don't know how charged it was. A neighbor said it reads 12v but when he tried to put a load on it, that it wont hold? I didn't get the whole convo there as my bf was the one who took it to him. Anyhow, Im going to try and take it to get tested somewhere more reliable but in the meantime I have a few questions- If i get a trickle charger will that work to charge the battery completely? (im guessing it just takes longer?) Or do I have to spring for a "real' charger. My local auto store didnt have a way to test it. Also the inline batt fuse is a 16a. I see in the manual its suppose to be 7. do you think that means anything? My bf was saying possibly someone put a higher fuse because something keeps shorting the standard one. The connectors to the fuse are a bit rusty so idk if that makes any diff for anything but I'll steel wool those anyway. Ok I think thats all FOR NOW lol :woot:
motormike

Re: 85 Spree Dead battery? and a fuse question

Post by motormike »

Most certainly a rusty or dirty connector can prevent the proper amperage from passing into the battery.... charged by the Sprees own charging system.
The thing to do here is test the battery with a Volt/Ohm meter (your auto store sucks)
Charge the battery SLOWLY with 1/2 amp (the preferred rate)
Trickle-chargers or Battery Tenders will do the job, given enough time.
Charging at a higher rate can damage the battery....not sure what happens to a GEL battery, but the lead-acid batteries will boil dry.
Once you get the Spree running, with a charged battery in place,
test with the meter at the battery posts, scooter running, and note the amount of VOLTS reading on the meter.
Good is 13.2 and up...Optimum is 14.2
Slight increase in voltage should be noticed when engine is revved.
If your Spree has a bad STATOR, it will not keep the battery charged... :urban:
It's possible that a "DRAW" is being placed on the battery when not running, but
if the bike is not ridden regularly, and the battery is not brand new, it will run down fairly quickly.
Battery Tender is almost a must.... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
motormike

Post by motormike »

REPLACE that fuse with the proper amp...they are specified that rating for a reason.
You risk burning up the wiring harness, and yes, the whole bike if there is a fuse inline rated for too many amps.
RideRed
Vintagegirl85
BMX
BMX

Post by Vintagegirl85 »

Update. I got a coworker to charge the battery. He said it was fully charged. Brought it home and put in my spree. Nada no sounds no nothing. I guess I'll get a new battery.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Vintagegirl85 wrote:Update. I got a coworker to charge the battery. He said it was fully charged. Brought it home and put in my spree. Nada no sounds no nothing. I guess I'll get a new battery.

You are making an irrational and hasty decision to spend money on something that you have not done the necessary work to determine condition.
Scooter ownership requires effort.
You can't just throw parts at a scooter and expect positive results.
I don't mean to sound discouraging...do your homework...or find someone who knows how to repair bikes... :urban:
Your bike may have something as simple as a burnt-out tailight, which will prevent starting.
Be sure to squeeze the brake lever when attempting to start with electric starter.
Apparently, I took more time to reply to your questions than you have trying to find the problem....I'm the one discouraged... :confused:
RideRed
Vintagegirl85
BMX
BMX

Post by Vintagegirl85 »

Well i didnt think about checking the lights and the horn. They work though the horn is low. Batterys are 20 bucks on ebay so its not a huge waste. Im waiting for the multimeter and trickle charger to come via mail. I dont have a cheap place (harbor frieght is an hour away) to get stuff so ebay is better but means waiting. I am just frustrated because i spent all my cash on this hoping it would be a reliable form of transport as i have no car. I guess my hopes were to high. And Im a woman im impatient lol. Thank u guys for the help i really need it :)
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

With a little patience effort and elbow grease it will be a good reliable vehicle. They are fun lil scoots when they running.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Vintagegirl85
BMX
BMX

Post by Vintagegirl85 »

Ok stopped by o'rielly today and all they had was 7.5 amp fuse. looks a hair longer than the one I have in the bike now but hey that one is wrong anyway. So will that work or is there somewhere else I can get the right fuse? Motorcycle shop?
motormike

Post by motormike »

...7.5 is cool...as long as it fits in the holder... :urban:
RideRed
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Put your meter on the battery as you crank it. Does the voltage drop to nothing? Is the taillight coming on when you turn the key on. Watch the taillight when you push the starter. If the taillight goes out or goes very dim could be a dead battery or a short. My elite and my second spree both had batteries that were only a year old but were trashed because they had frozen and went dry. Trickle charge the battery and try it out. And as mike suggested clean all of the battery connections and frame ground. Any corrosion even corrosion you can't see can cause the resistance to skyrocket well above what is doable for the battery to overcome.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Vintagegirl85
BMX
BMX

Post by Vintagegirl85 »

Update. Took the battery to a cycle shop. Doa. No good. So i shelled out 50 bucks for a new one. Bike started first try! And i got it registered today which i was also worried about as it haf no previous papers. So now im on the road!! Now to go duck tape my seat.....lol
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Vintagegirl85 wrote:Update. Took the battery to a cycle shop. Doa. No good. So i shelled out 50 bucks for a new one. Bike started first try! And i got it registered today which i was also worried about as it haf no previous papers. So now im on the road!! Now to go duck tape my seat.....lol

Since you are into Ebay... Seat covers can be had for a reasonable price. Borrow a roofing stapler and have a TRUSTED friend hit it with a hammer as you pull it tight. Voila! new seat.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts