honda gyro starting problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

honda gyro starting problems

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

Finally got around to starting the 86 gyro. It will start and run for a few seconds and dies out. While its running its putting out white smoke. Any suggestions.
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Re: honda gyro starting problems

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

Yes , I am
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

It does have fresh gas. I checked the spark plug. I didn't check for compression. The guy I bought it from said it was running last year , but he could not get it started this year. I wasn't getting a spark, so I changed the coil. Now I have this problem.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Sounds like a fuel issue. Did you clean the heck out of the carb?
I had a 2 stroke which puffed white smoke due to poor float level settings...
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

The past owner said he cleaned the carb when it wouldn't start. I ordered a replacement on ebay fof $24. I was going to put it on when it comes in and see if its doing the same thing.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

The replacement carb on Ebay is not a Gyro carb. You'll see when it comes that it's different, but you can use some parts. My guess is that the oil injector is leaking down a little and the plug is fouling. Try cleaning the plug again and starting it. If you are pre-mixing 2 cycle oil in the gas and the oil injector tank has oil in it, then you are getting too much. Try it with straight gas.
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Fits ... 44&vxp=mtr

This was the carb I ordered.
I was using straight gas. The plug looked very clean, not foul. I didn't want to mess with the carb that's on the bike.
I might introduce a new problem, if the original problem wasn't carb related.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Good luck with that carb. You know it should smoke some, and usually the smoking clears to a minimal level after a bit. Is your bystarter (enrichener) working? It's the electric thing in the black case on the carb.
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

I know 2 strokes smoke a litttle on start up, but this was a lot of white smoke. I didn't test the enricher.
I was going to wait on the new carb. If the new carb changes anything, then I will try to fix the old one.
I rather have the original Japanese carb then a Chinese replacementl
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Oil pumps do tend to seep a little oil through their seals. The older the pump, and the longer the scooter has sat, the more oil collects in the crankcase to cloud your exhaust when first fired up. This accumulated oil does tend to burn off after running an hour or so, and won't recur unless you again let it sit without starting for a long time. Might be good to check the cylinder head and the pipe for deposits of soot if it's very heavy smoke.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

wentwest wrote:The replacement carb on Ebay is not a Gyro carb. You'll see when it comes that it's different, but you can use some parts. My guess is that the oil injector is leaking down a little and the plug is fouling. Try cleaning the plug again and starting it. If you are pre-mixing 2 cycle oil in the gas and the oil injector tank has oil in it, then you are getting too much. Try it with straight gas.
wentwest
You were right , the carb they sent was incorrect. Too big, the intake was too big for the airbox, the bolt pattern was too big.i going to test the auto enricher on the old carb.
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

Check the auto enricher. It had 5 ohms and that was intolerance. Put 12 v on it, and it did expand. Seems to be working.
was looking for a rebuild kit for carb, not having much luck. Any ideas?
Thanks jim
motormike

Post by motormike »

I guarantee you that the carb needs cleaning,...properly....and the idle jet and main jet is not fully open.
I would pay STRICT attention to the TINY passage between the float bowl and the bystarter well.

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

I would honestly Clean the Carb and Jets like Mike said^.

Then I would start the Gyro and just let it sit to see if the smoke clears up. Then try to throttle it a little bit. Happens to me when my bikes sit for a long time. Ill start it and it'll smoke and when I go to throttle, the motor will bog then shut off. Once I start it and let the smoke clear it gets better.
luckyrabbit7
Goped
Goped

Post by luckyrabbit7 »

I cleaned the carb, and I did get it to start. It was reving very high. I had put the throttle valve in wrong. I didn't know you had to aligned the groove with the throttle screw. The white smoke did clear. Thing ran great and I took it for my first test run, what a blast. My only problem is it runs great, but its still a little hard to start. Have to hold throttle open while cranking, even on restart while warm. But I'm real happy that everything works on it. May of overpayed a little.
bought it in nonrunning condition for $500