85 spree starting issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

85 spree starting issues

Post by Bossshelby »

Hello everyone, I have an 85 Honda spree and it will not start. Everything is good, a new engine and a charged battery. When you turn it on everything works but when you push the starter button all the lights die and it doesn't crank and the starter doesn't spin at all. The starter engages and dies. All it does is kill the battery. Is maybe the starter bad?
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers
-Highly ported intake and exhaust
-custom performance muffler
3 original sprees. A red, black and white
dragracer3234
Noob
Noob

Re: 85 spree starting issues

Post by dragracer3234 »

Remove the left side body cover.
LOOK down by the bottom you will see a plug with 2 wires there going to the starter.
one is a ground the other one is the one that engages the starter when you hit the start button.
UNPLUG it, then try to start it again. make sure the battery is up. With it unplugged it wont start. BUT you will be able to tell if the wiring has a short in it.. IF it still kills the battery or tries to ts a short in the wiring,
or starter switch.
DON'T forget you have to have one of the brakes ON to make it start. If it doesn't do anything when you try then you most likely have a bad starter. They are very easy to change (NOT CHEAP) but easy.
Make sure the wiring going to the starter isn't damaged. Remember one is a ground and one is a battery
wire, it that little harness to the starter is bad it can short right out..
It's a short 2 wire harness for and to the starter ONLY
Let me know what you find ok.
dragracer3234
dragracer3234
Noob
Noob

Post by dragracer3234 »

Remove the left side body cover.
LOOK down by the bottom you will see a plug with 2 wires there going to the starter.
one is a ground the other one is the one that engages the starter when you hit the start button.
UNPLUG it, then try to start it again. make sure the battery is up. With it unplugged it wont start. BUT you will be able to tell if the wiring has a short in it.. IF it still kills the battery or tries to ts a short in the wiring,
or starter switch.
DON'T forget you have to have one of the brakes ON to make it start. If it doesn't do anything when you try then you most likely have a bad starter. They are very easy to change (NOT CHEAP) but easy.
Make sure the wiring going to the starter isn't damaged. Remember one is a ground and one is a battery
wire, it that little harness to the starter is bad it can short right out..
It's a short 2 wire harness for and to the starter ONLY
Let me know what you find ok.
dragracer3234 :coolcruise:
Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

Post by Bossshelby »

Ok thanks it worked fine before but I still looked over the wiring and all looks good. I will try unplugging the wires in the morning to see what happens.
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers
Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

Post by Bossshelby »

Ok it ended up being a starter so I rebuilt one and put it it and work. Thanks for all the help
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers