Oil bypassing pump when not running & mixture way too rich.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

metroweld
Noob
Noob

Oil bypassing pump when not running & mixture way too rich.

Post by metroweld »

I just finished a basket case sa50 but the oil mixture is too rich. after letting the scooter sit all the oil in tank leaked out bypassing pump out carb. I haven't put a oil strainer in yet. Looks like I have a bad oil pump. Should I put a strainer in first or go ahead & order a new oil pump with the strainer?
Wheelman-111

Re: Oil bypassing pump when not running & mixture way too ri

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

New oil pump is in the cards regardless, unless you plan to plug the pump hole and run premix. The pump seals fail, leading to a steady drip-drip-drip into the cases, although I recall no report of it happening quite so fast. You might want to be sure your engine isn't hydrolocked, using the kickstarter gently to see if it'll spin over. If not, the oil must be dumped or vacuumed out before you do anything else.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
metroweld
Noob
Noob

Post by metroweld »

I'm pretty sure I have everything hooked up right, however the scooter came with oil lines plugged & set up to run pre mixed fuel. My guess is pump is bad from being unhooked for who knows how long. Thank you both for the help. I'll try a new pump before plugging the lines & running pre mixed myself.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

There is the possibility the previous owner removed the oil pump shaft and replaced the pump as a plug and now your oil is going straight into the engine. Also take the advice from Wheelman-111 about the hydro-lock. You could damage the crank or other internal parts unless the oil is removed.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

maybe the PO filled the motor with oil thinking it needed crank case oil ( ive seen it befor ) then gave up cause he couldnt get it going .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1