pulse generator check

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

larryboy
Noob
Noob

pulse generator check

Post by larryboy »

Is there any way to see if my pulse generator is putting out spark. The blue /yellow wire checks out ok . I have been reading the other posts on no spark but I don't seem to have the same problem. Lar
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Pulse generator

Post by Jerry »

Use a VOM on 15 volt AC scale.
Red lead to B/Y lead
Black to GRN

Kick start or use starter motor.
Should show an AVERAGE of 6 volts or more.

Actually any voltage reading will verify the trigger coil
Scoot safely
larryboy
Noob
Noob

Post by larryboy »

I am getting no voltage from the trigger coil. It is strange that that voltage test is not in my honda manual only the resistance readings.Thanks for your help.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

pulse coil output

Post by mikehailwood »

Larry, When trying to determine why I had no spark on my '84, I got an ac voltage reading of between 0.2 and 0.35. When I found and corrected my problem (not the pulse generator), this voltage proved to be enough for the pulse generator to do it's job.
Mike
larryboy
Noob
Noob

Post by larryboy »

Mike. What possibilities are there that I can be sure that my problem is a faulty trigger coil . I looked it up and it's a $46.95 part. I am infected with the cheepskate gene.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

Larry, I too am infected with that gene. We might be related! However, given the cost of the part relative to the value of a Spree, I think it might just be the "common sense" gene. Anyway, Jerry gave it to you straight on how to test properly (as he always seems to give good reliable info). I happened to use a digital tester. Where are you connecting your tester leads when performing your test? How are you spinning over the motor? Is it spinning pretty fast? (it needs to) Remove the spark plug from the head to eliminate compression and allow the engine to spin freely. Did you test the unit for resistance and , if so, what was the reading?
larryboy
Noob
Noob

Post by larryboy »

Howdy cuz. I did my testing nearest to the trigger coil at the stator coupler and I have a good working electric starter. I also have a dgital multimeter and the resistance reading was 115. I confess I had a cranium flatulence and bought a manual for a 84-87 NQ50. Finally I found the sticker on the frame covered with dirt. It turns out I have a 89 SB50P. Is there a big difference?
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

My resistance reading was 117.5, so it would seem that your are okay with that 115 reading. Are the 2 wires you tested Blue/Yellow and Green as Jerry mentioned? Are you testing for voltage at this same location and using the ac voltage setting on the meter? What the heck is an SB50P?
larryboy
Noob
Noob

Post by larryboy »

Yes, I tested the blue/yellow and green and at the same local. I googled the SB50P and found it to be an Elite. the replacement for the Spree I think.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The ignition systems should be very similar b/t the two, but the harnesses may vary. You'll need to get the right book or CD for your model.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

Larry, I agree with noiseguy. You need to at least see the wiring diagram for an SB50P (preferrably the same year as yours). Then you can see if there are other wires or swtches connected to the pulse generator leads. Without that info we are all just guessing, based on our Spree experiences which may not be relevant to the Elite if it is wired only slightly differently. I haven't found an Elite wiring diagram on the internet, so good luck and let us now how you progress.
larryboy
Noob
Noob

Post by larryboy »

I have been reading a little about trigger coils and there is supposeed to be a small magnet on the flywheel that passes by the trigger coil. There is a small strip of metal on the fly wheel but it does not appear to be magnetic. Is that possible? I would aslo like to know the gap specs. It doesn't look to be adjustable but this bike was road hard and put away wet.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

Larry, On my Spree the metal piece on the flywheel is just that - a piece of metal. The magnet is located on the pulse generator itself. You probably can disconnect the pulse generator and test for that magnatism as I did. On the Spree, there seems to be no allowance for adjustment. I suspect you will find the Elite to be similar.
larryboy
Noob
Noob

Post by larryboy »

I installed a pulser in my scooter and I now have spark! Thanks to all for your help. Next up is my fuel line but I can't work on that in my basement.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Re: Pulse generator

Post by Kikwear »

Jerry wrote:Use a VOM on 15 volt AC scale.
Red lead to B/Y lead
Black to GRN

Kick start or use starter motor.
Should show an AVERAGE of 6 volts or more.

Actually any voltage reading will verify the trigger coil
Is there anywhere online where this kind of information is presented for all sensors? It's nice to know if our wires are within spec but I'd much rather know what the output is supposed to be as provided above.