Reeds dying out while riding??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Reeds dying out while riding??

Post by Ruckenstein »

Can anyone describe the symptoms of reeds as they die out while riding. Are there any noises or anything querky that happens while your riding and reeds go out. (Not breaking just losing ability to seal)
Wheelman-111

Re: Reeds dying out while riding??

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The reeds play their biggest role on start-up, idling, and low to mid-range RPM performance. They control the reverse pressure wave from the descending piston that would otherwise go back out the carb. After mid-range, the momentum of the intake gas column flow prevents that reverse back-flow, and the reeds don't do much if anything at higher engine RPM. If you could suddenly remove the reeds altogether at top speed, I believe the engine would keep right on going, maybe a bit rich and smoky. This is from personal experience riding Flash 2 with a cracked carbon reed. Almost impossible to start, but once underway - nursing the throttle - it ran almost normally.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Re: Reeds dying out while riding??

Post by patthesoundguy »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The reeds play their biggest role on start-up, idling, and low to mid-range RPM performance. They control the reverse pressure wave from the descending piston that would otherwise go back out the carb. After mid-range, the momentum of the intake gas column flow prevents that reverse back-flow, and the reeds don't do much if anything at higher engine RPM. If you could suddenly remove the reeds altogether at top speed, I believe the engine would keep right on going, maybe a bit rich and smoky. This is from personal experience riding Flash 2 with a cracked carbon reed. Almost impossible to start, but once underway - nursing the throttle - it ran almost normally.
I had mushed reeds at one point as well and I agree once you get it to run and play the throttle till the top end and it runs like normal.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock