87 disc brake conversion

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gza710
BMX
BMX

87 disc brake conversion

Post by gza710 »

Did some research awhile ago and saw a disc brake conversion on an 1987 elite using a dio zx front end. I bought a dio zx front end (fork, handlebar, levers, disc brake, and tire) from Japan. Before diving in and breaking my 87 down, I wanted to ask if is it as simple as removing the 87s front end and bolting in the zx front end? Is there a way to still use the 87s front panels, headlight, and throttle assemblies? Or do I have to convert the front end to zx panels, headlights, etc? Please advise. Thank you.
gza710
BMX
BMX

Re: 87 disc brake conversion

Post by gza710 »

Thanks for the response. Can u clarify what u mean by cutting the stem and lengthening it? You know any pics I can refer to? Thanks again
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Actually the live dio zx frontend is plug and play on a 87 elite. You can either cut the leg shield to clearance the triple or you can use a heat gun and mold the plastic so the triple can clear the plastic. As for cutting metal, none needed. I built 3 87 elites with live dio frontend and love them. The Honda G dash is a much better fit triple tree but those much harder to get. That one fits like a glove with no leg shield mods needed.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
gza710
BMX
BMX

Post by gza710 »

Bakaracer - I have your post in save from 5 years back about your conversion. Your 87s inspire my builds. I remember in your post you said what you said above. I just needed to make sure before I started. I really want to keep the original panels. Care to share some of your pics in your 87s? Pm me. Thanks.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10568

You can see the leg shield has a bigger bubble. After you get the triple tree in, put the shield in place and mark where the tree rubs. I heated both sides of the plastic and used broom stick end cut off and used the round side to push the bubble out while applying heat. The live headset sits a bit high so to make it sit more down and nice you have to cut the neck of the bar and take off the amount you want to have the gap you want between the front nose cover and the head set cover. Then reweld the bottom half of the neck back on.you going take off about 1/2in but measure and check to make sure. Yours might sit a bit different height.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

too bad nobody sells those undercowls anymore that you had on there Baka love the lines that it creates.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
gza710
BMX
BMX

Post by gza710 »

Success!!!

Before:
before disc.jpg
before disc.jpg (129.51 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
After:
87 disc.jpg
87 disc.jpg (98.11 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
I'll post the full build on my blog (Not to promote my blog but its just easier to post the full build there. Sorry)

<Click Below>