85 Spree, zero power anywhere key on.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Robby321
Noob
Noob

85 Spree, zero power anywhere key on.

Post by Robby321 »

Pulled the batt out for charging over the short winter. Scoot in the shed. Batt back in, fuse good, and get power to the 4 prong relay off the batt but key on does nothing. No lights anything. Before I really dig into it, could that relay be bad, or could it be the ING switch? Just did a new switch on my CH150 last year so they do go bad. Wires all look good..(no vermin chewing). I can rebuild a HD motor in my sleep, but I aint the best electrical stuff! Any suggestions where to look, start, as I'll take any with any advice. Thanks any reply, Robby
motormike

Re: 85 Spree, zero power anywhere key on.

Post by motormike »

Um,...my first thought is : maybe the tailight bulb is blown.
Start with that as it will prevent the scooter from starting.
... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Robby321
Noob
Noob

Post by Robby321 »

Hmm..thats a thought! I'll look at it again out in the shop. Thanks..
Robby321
Noob
Noob

Post by Robby321 »

OK, bulb is fine. Yanked front body work to get at the ING switch and have power to it. So found a switch Ebay and be here a week. Then try that. I hate electrical chit as ya know, its a chase it down, and money to replace parts ya THINK. "maybe this"? And not! No big deal me as been at the stuff 50 +years. Still own 3 Harleys, a restored CT70 Minitrail, the CH150 Elite..(use them here the private HOA, marina runners). Plus 4 d*** boats too so its .."always something!". Like said on the CH that needed a new ING switch too as sit outside unheated sheds PNW wet weather winter, and ya know the rest. "Rust never sleeps", but innards "corrosion? Simple can't see it! "till it wont start!" Thanks the reply, and up date when I get the new switch. I'll figure it!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Ignition switch is bad if you have voltage IN, but no voltage OUT.
I'd say you nailed it first shot, considering the environment... :urban:
but, don't forget the tailight thing, it should always come on with the key.
The rest of the lights only work when running... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Robby321
Noob
Noob

Post by Robby321 »

I'm on it, but I hate that "Child proof stuff' Honda does now..like kickstand switches as just sold a 1995 CRB1000F. the scoots/quads gotta grab a break lever to fire? Funny to as bunch years back found a the CH150 F/S. Can not start it. Well, it has been sitting under a tree years and some dumb girl with purple hair told me "Its got a new battery, but getting nothing to start?" As its a zero kicker, and now way push it to start as variable belt drive. So the bat was the same my HD dragbike, so bought it for the $45 the new batt. 1/2 body work missing, no seat.

Took it home, key on and jumped the starter solenoid. Fired! Cleaned out the tank and carb, but would do zip "hitting the starter?" Then it hit me! "Step the rear brake"! Its my fav "rat scooter now". I grew up on Minibikes made out bicycles frames, with a Horizontal shaft lawn mower Briggs motor. Simple me is like the big and fast stuff, but my heart long ago? "gotta love those "little chits"! If knees in the breeze, ya "win"
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

The switch that controls the brake light also controls the circuit to the solenoid, but it's a 2 step plunger switch so it's possible that it needs to be adjusted. I don't know what you're working on, but the switch gets pulled by a wire from the foot brake lever and it can be adjusted by turning a collar that moves the whole switch mechanism in and out. You could also try and jump it. Motormike was close to right, but you have to look for the brake light operation with the foot pedal, not the taillight.
Robby321
Noob
Noob

Post by Robby321 »

wentwest wrote:The switch that controls the brake light also controls the circuit to the solenoid, but it's a 2 step plunger switch so it's possible that it needs to be adjusted. I don't know what you're working on, but the switch gets pulled by a wire from the foot brake lever and it can be adjusted by turning a collar that moves the whole switch mechanism in and out. You could also try and jump it. Motormike was close to right, but you have to look for the brake light operation with the foot pedal, not the taillight.

Thats the CH 150 with a foot rear brake I mentioned and understand what you are saying. This is a 85 NQ50 Spree, with brake levers on the bars. But all I ever did was key on and squeeze the front brake lever..(never rear) and hit the start button.

But I cannot remember (too many toys), should the lights come on the spree with key on? My CH lights come on, then go out intermittent for start. I'll track down power when I get some new stuff, simple chasing it down. But I will sure look into all that "child proof stuff", brakes. Have a good gearhead friend here thats d*** good electrical stuff..(he's fixing a Ruckus at the moment), as I'm not. I'll keep ya updated here, as still.."no go", but I don't give up easy. Thanks any for some ideas! I figure the problem, I'll share ya all. "Scoot on'!
Robby321
Noob
Noob

Post by Robby321 »

Update the Spree. Found the problem and it was what I thought. ING switch went bad. Found one Ebay, and got it today. I was NOT sure if the prob first, but as had to come by bought it anyway..(used, but tested good, $37 shipped). Checked it continuity and switch on, the hot wire in, to ground wire showed good. Tried the old one still on the bike, and zero to ground. Temp did the new switch, and tail light came on and fired.

So thanks the help and thoughts kids. Keep them old scoots RUNNING!