Honda reflex 250 smokes and dies when throttled

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Honda reflex 250 smokes and dies when throttled

Post by Ruckenstein »

I don't know if I have some coolant lines messed up or what. I got the bike apart and nothing was labeled. It will start and continually emit quite a bit of smoke. I checked the oil reaervoir and there is no coolant. I've been looking for a reflex carb diagram but have not found one. Any help is greatly appreciated!
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda reflex 250 smokes and dies when throttled

Post by wentwest »

There's a coolant line that goes to a preheater on the side of the carb, and a vacuum line that goes from another place right at the carb, and if you get them backwards the bike will send up clouds of steam and run like crap. Any diagram I ever found looked like a dish of spaghetti to me, so I ended up pulling lines one at a time and looking for coolant, and following them. I finally figured it out.

Look at http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manual ... Manual.pdf for a factory service manual
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

Sounds like my issue!!!!!
Will Inspect when I get time.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What mods have you done, Ruckenstein and wentwest?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

All I've done is the "K-mod" where you remove 3 weights from the variator to get higher revs at start up. Mostly I like to pick up neglected or broken older scooters or bikes, fix them slowly and then sell them or just ride. This one was cheap for several reasons, but the steaming and bad performance was the big issue. The owner was sure it was a "blown engine". With oil in the sump and turning over and starting normal, I was pretty sure that it wasn't blown, just screwed up. It was, exactly like Ruckenstein's. Swapped the lines and off we went. I might sell it this Spring and look for another. I do about 3 a year.
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

wentwest wrote:All I've done is the "K-mod" where you remove 3 weights from the variator to get higher revs at start up. Mostly I like to pick up neglected or broken older scooters or bikes, fix them slowly and then sell them or just ride. This one was cheap for several reasons, but the steaming and bad performance was the big issue. The owner was sure it was a "blown engine". With oil in the sump and turning over and starting normal, I was pretty sure that it wasn't blown, just screwed up. It was, exactly like Ruckenstein's. Swapped the lines and off we went. I might sell it this Spring and look for another. I do about 3 a year.
What he said. I mean.....exactly what he said. I do mostly buying and selling and I don't even have the registration on my license for a motorcycle. I have a couple bikes that I plan on keeping for the long haul but mostly just buying and reselling.
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

I've tried different combinations and can't even get it to fire now. :/ any ideas?
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Clean or replace the sparkplug. The vacuum system is really not tolerant of screw ups, so look at page 1-22 of the service manual I gave you the link to. If the vacuum line to the fuel pump is not right, or there's a crack that leaks air, there won't be fuel to the carb.
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... carburetor
[img]http://image_www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e210f870021c54be1a9e/carburetor[/img]
Looking for a little help on how to read the alpha-numeric codes on this page.

It's pretty much out of the service manual and supplier site pages to help verify parts.

I.e. F33 has an inlet and outlet barb. what the Heck is F33

F-31 and E-2 are on the heater barbs bolted to the carb. What the Heck are F31 and E2

Much obliged.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

F31 and E 2 are the in and out for coolant that heats up the carburetor throat. The piece is just a small casting that bolts to the carb. F33 is a vacuum port. If you think you are seeing in and out there you are looking at F31/E2 instead. You need to be sure that the hoses going to F31/E2 are wet insde and the hose to F33 is dry. Page 1-22 of the manual is helpful, ut not much.