Help! My 86' Spree won't Kick!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pennyyy
Noob
Noob

Help! My 86' Spree won't Kick!

Post by Pennyyy »

Hello All- I would like to thank you in advance for ANY help that you guys can offer. I have been all over this forum and just cant seem to find the solution to my problem. You all seem very knowledgeable, so here goes:
I have a 1986 Honda spree that wont kick, or start. It has been sitting for about 3 years. I drained and replaced the gas, oil, and checked the air filter. I also bought a new battery. I got a new spark plug that I set to a 0.6 - 0.7mm gap (0.024 - 0.028 in) The electric start works, but wont grab, and I know better than to wear it out. The kicker moves about 1/2" and then locks up. I removed the spark plug and tested the spark, and it was a very bright blue. I kicked it with the plug out, and it spits oil. Lots of oil! I put the plug back in, and it kicks 1x as if nothing is wrong, and then right back to total lock up. I did this 3x with the same results. At this point, I think the reed valves aren't opening. I removed the air filter, carburetor, (o rings looked good and I sprayed it with brake cleaner) intake, and reed valve. I cleaned the reed valve (which did seem to be stuck) and put it all back together. I was hopeful! I kicked it 2x with no problems, and it sounded right. 3rd kick, and back to total lockup.
HELP!
My next thought is to test the auto fuel valve and my lines. Make sure that I am getting gas, as its spitting so much oil without the plug in?!
I am no mechanic or expert, but Im not a dumbass (at least I dont think I am?)
Am I missing something? Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be GREATLY appreciated! I would love to get this Spree back on the road! It was a gift from my Dad about 10 years ago. It was good to me for a long time. I moved to Colorado and let it sit in the garage. (I didn't trust anyone with it) I would much rather try and fix it myself than bring it to a small engine repair shop. I am not opposed to doing so, I would just like to exhaust all options before doing so.
Wheelman-111

Re: Help! My 86' Spree won't Kick!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It sounds to me like you have a crankcase full of 3 years' worth of 2-cycle oil. Tip or vacuum that out. Prepare for a smoke cloud visible from the moon when it first fires. Something is physically preventing the crank from rotating and that can be a cylinder half full of oil. Anyway It certainly isn't fuel lines reeds failing to open, so don't waste the gaskets.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

After you drain the two stroke oil out of the engine there will be still a little oil in there. So leave the muffler off when you start it to avoid blowing oil into the muffler. If not your muffler will smoke real bad for a bit.

You prob pushed oil into the muffler when you tried to start it. It is going to smoke so don't be alarmed....

Taz
KeithMcFly
BMX
BMX

Post by KeithMcFly »

I know this is an old one but I'm just curious to see if this worked. I did almost all the same exact steps except for check for oil in the cylinder.