86 Honda Spree Kickstart problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rowe94
Goped
Goped

86 Honda Spree Kickstart problems

Post by rowe94 »

Alright to start off I am a college student who picked up an old Honda Spree to dink around on. Its ran great the last couple of weeks and today while riding it I started her up (first kick) and took off, about 300 yards down the road she died on me and I couldn't get her started again. I stopped and tried kick starting her. There seemed to be some resistance while kick starting which was confusing. I pushed it from campus back to my house where I tried to take a better look. It still was having issues with the kick start and it not seeming to kick over. The scooter was owned by the previous owner the last 17 years I don't know how much maintenance was done but I was wondering what all I should do. Im hoping to use it this summer and hopefully a couple of years but I don't know what is necessary. Someone mentioned that I might need a new Cylinder and piston but I have no idea where to even start. Since i am living in an apartment I don't have a ton of room to take it apart and work. Im moving to a friends house in a couple of weeks and should be able to take it apart and leave it apart for a while. If anyone is from the Grand Rapids area and would want to help a fellow Spree rider that would be awesome! Thanks in advance.
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Re: 86 Honda Spree Kickstart problems

Post by Videonut »

NO
the kick start is probly the issue.

super easy just take the cover off the side of the kick start and remove the screws that hold the kick lever on. then take that long cover that has the kick start shaft in it, it has a bunch of screws. its the cover for your belt.
now once you have that cover off, clean clean clean with dry rags or air. maybe lube the kick start shaft. inspect the kick start gears and levers and if you see anything that looks like ground up metal then get yourself a new part on here im sure there are tons of us who have one layin around. but if all in all you can remove the kick start and just use the electric start untill you get the part. you will have it fixed in no time.

now if its interrnal like a piston there is a few things that you have to know. why did this happen??? and HOW TO FIXIT.

if its a piston and the cylandar wall was overheated or scratched or the bearings when out on the piston rod or other mechanical things like this. its probly the oil mixture was messed up like you didnt put oil in it...or your oil pump died or your oil lines broke or oil oil oil...
if this happened you can still fix it. its just a little more tricky.
so once you find out the issue come back an we will help you...

dont worry the spree is not difficult to work on ...
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again