86 Spree slow from take off

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

btosi
Goped
Goped

86 Spree slow from take off

Post by btosi »

Hey Guys/Gals,

Put the lower end motor section purchased on ebay in my wife's spree. Also installed a new stock top end kit from chopchop, did the correct break in. The scooter starts and runs great. The only problem is it is slow on the take off. Once the engine gets the revs up it takes off. The compression was checked and is 115. Was not sure what size main jet was in the carb so bought a new #68 from my local Honda shop. The air screw is adjusted to 1-3/8 turns per the shop manual. Not sure if the air box might be the problem. The filter is new, clean and oiled properly. The top lid may not be sealed all the way around, I have the middle screw tight, one lock tab is good, one lock tab is partially holding on and the third one is broken off. Could that be my problem? I checked the plug and it is a tan color. How about the reeds could that cause this type of problem? Or could something be plugged in the carburetor?

Thanks
Wheelman-111

Re: 86 Spree slow from take off

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

ANY issue with air box seal is going to be an issue with any Spree. The air screw to 1-3/8 is the starting point, but from there it must be tuned for top idle speed - it might go in or out by a half-turn. I suspect it'll be happier turned in if the air box assembly isn't sealed. Bad reeds invariably make the scooter really hard to start; this doesn't sound like it's the case here. See if you can score a fully functional airbox from someone here or new from Honda-san or any of the aftermarket Minions.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Claude Zachary
Noob
Noob

Post by Claude Zachary »

just cleaned carb on 85 spree, starts okay, but dies alot in the idle, have air box sealed up tight, but when i checked the air screw it seems to be tight up in there, if i turn it more than a quarter turn to the left fuel begins leaking out... what to do?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Are you sure you're not unscrewing the bowl drain? The idle mixture screw is right next to the throttle stop screw. Show some pics.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Claude Zachary
Noob
Noob

Post by Claude Zachary »

aw moose knuckles, so i was totally unscrewing the bowl drain like a mook. located idle mixture screw, purring like a baby weedwacker. thanks heaps wheelman-111.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Two thumbs up! Great to hear that you are scooting like crazy again :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock