Spree soft siezed (I think)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

btosi
Goped
Goped

Spree soft siezed (I think)

Post by btosi »

My wife was out on her 86 Spree today cruising along the beach WOT for about 2 miles and the engine quit. It is stock with a month old top end rebuild. The top end was broken in as recommended. The oil pump seems to be working, the oil level is going down and I can see a light smoke coming from the exhaust. I let it cool down some and added a couple of cap fulls of 2 stoke to the gas and it started right up and seem to run just fine. Anybody have any ideas? I am thinking maybe it is my 2 stoke oil, I use Havoline TC-W3 2-Cycle oil. According their website this is ok for oil injected engines.

Thanks
Wheelman-111

Re: Spree soft siezed (I think)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If the engine just "quit", it could have been starving for fuel. This happens when the vacuum line has a little bit of leakage and you run the throttle wide open for a prolonged time. WOT reduces the vacuum at the port, sometimes enough to shut off fuel flow. This exact thing has happened to me.

If the engine soft-seizes, you will leave a long skid mark as the rear wheel locks up until the clutch disengages. I recommend you dump that gasoline with the added oil and start fresh. Perhaps with the Honda GN-2 oil that's prescribed, just to be safe.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

You spent money on the bore kit.....you spent time installing it......spend some money on performance oil and keep off of the extended wot for a while longer. The bore kit is not broken in yet.
I have done this very same thing and more than once. And on the same motor. And it is 6500 miles now so you probably didn't do damage, yet.
The oil should be kept to the 32:1 mix no matter how it is delivered. It will not keep it from seizing from heat.
I use Klotz techniplate on big bores, and yamalube on stock bores. I can't find Honda GN-2 anywhere around where I live.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Thanks

Wheelman,

I do not have a vacuum shut off. When I got the scooter the vacuum pet * as broken, I tried one off eBay and that really didn't work. So I replaced it with an on-off pet * and all new hoses. But the point about running out of fuel really make sense. I has happened before in roughly the same location doing the same thing.

bonesv,

You are 100% correct. Spent time and money and bought cheaper oil. Even with all the scooter here in Key West finding a good grade of 2 stoke is hard. I was able to find "Royal Purple Oil HP 2-C High Performance Synthetic 2-Cycle" and "Lucas Oil Products Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle High Temperature Racing Oil". Any of these any good?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

btosi wrote:Thanks

Wheelman,

I do not have a vacuum shut off. When I got the scooter the vacuum pet * as broken, I tried one off eBay and that really didn't work. So I replaced it with an on-off pet * and all new hoses. But the point about running out of fuel really make sense. I has happened before in roughly the same location doing the same thing.

bonesv,

You are 100% correct. Spent time and money and bought cheaper oil. Even with all the scooter here in Key West finding a good grade of 2 stoke is hard. I was able to find "Royal Purple Oil HP 2-C High Performance Synthetic 2-Cycle" and "Lucas Oil Products Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle High Temperature Racing Oil". Any of these any good?
Wow, didn't know about the p e t c o c k issue. I hope you have the vacuum nipple plugged....
Do you have the stock air box and filter in service? Sealed up real good like 100%?

Moped Hospital (Truman & Simonton Streets) sells the above mentioned Klotz it's like $12 for a Qt.
Or the Yamaha dealer on Roosevelt Blvd. has the Yamalube 2S. Never tried those you have mentioned but any semi-synthetic is going to work well.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Yes the vacuum nipple is caped off tightly. I did check the air box and it is sealed very good. Just to be sure the seam between to cover and the box has been sealed with a good grade of tape. Easy to remove, but sticks very well.

I am going to drain the oil from my wife's Spree and my Zuma and replace it with something better.

What is interesting on the Zuma forum not many people have good things to say about yamalube. Would you know does the 2S stand for 2 stroke or Synthetic?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I don't know but for my daily driver it's affordable. $7 qt. He sells Klotz also but it's $15 qt.

Also, I have rebuilt a few stock motors and almost every time I go extended wot before 350-400 miles it will shut off. Then restarts after a few minutes with no apparent consequences. Just my experience.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX