Spree fuel tank

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Spree fuel tank

Post by reynoldston »

Need to replace the fuel tank on my Spree. The used tank I got to replace it with has some rusty pin holes in it. Has anybody every patched one of these tanks. If so what did you use and what kind of luck did you have? I was also thinking about adding a fuel filter.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Re: Spree fuel tank

Post by Johnniespeed »

I cut all my old rusty scooter tanks in two, I sandblast all the rust out until it is perfectly clean, I weld the tanks back together and then coat them internally with a product called Kreem. This essentially gives you a new clean white plastic fuel tank inside a steel shell and nobody can tell of this great mod. Great for restorations and daily drivers.
I have a system or method now and can do them in about two hours. This eliminates the fuel system issues that other guys always seem to have. Also I no longer have to hunt for perfect tanks anymore.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

Johnniespeed wrote:I cut all my old rusty scooter tanks in two, I sandblast all the rust out until it is perfectly clean, I weld the tanks back together and then coat them internally with a product called Kreem. This essentially gives you a new clean white plastic fuel tank inside a steel shell and nobody can tell of this great mod. Great for restorations and daily drivers.
I have a system or method now and can do them in about two hours. This eliminates the fuel system issues that other guys always seem to have. Also I no longer have to hunt for perfect tanks anymore.
Just where do you cut the tanks apart, at the seam? What do you cut them apart with? Do you fill when with water first? Then what do you use to weld them together? I do have a acetylene set can it be brazed? Not very good at welding. Also where do you buy the product called Kreem?
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Yes, Air saw or jig saw, use metal blade, Yes, MIG or TIG or Gas weld or braze, Yes, most every motorcycle shop or Ebay.
I have tried each type of welding to confirm that it would work and it does.
Once the tank halves are sandblasted there is no longer any danger of explosion, when sawing the tank in two, fill the tank with water to lessen the chances of explosion and personal injury, yes you could get hurt or die if you cannot understand fuel vapor ignition, I have done about ten or eleven now and no problems The tank welding does not have to be perfect, the Kreem will fill any pinholes up to 1/8 inch.
You can also Kreem without sandblasting as that is what it is intended for, but I want a very long lasting fix and I don't think it sticks well to rust, I KNOW it sticks to bare sandblasted steel.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I understand the wish to fix whatcha got very well. But in this case, why not search for a better used tank? Kreem kit alone costs more than a nice pre-owned tank, and if you don't follow directions perfectly it may not work as well in the long run. All Plastic does undergo chemical change eventually.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH