Honda Spree won't start after riding

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Terryfrost3
BMX
BMX

Honda Spree won't start after riding

Post by Terryfrost3 »

Hi, I am brand new to this forum and new to riding Honda Spree. I Recently dug a 85 Honda sprees out of a barn that I was cleaning and the owner gave it to me. I took it home and cleaned it up and got it running. It starts right up when I want to take a cruise. After riding it around my neighborhood (about 3 miles) I come home and shut it off, after that it will not start again until about a hour after siting. Once again I am brand new to this and am looking for help so please bare with me. Thanks! Terry.
motormike

Re: Honda Spree won't start after riding

Post by motormike »

The described condition points toward flooding of gas when stopped.
One item to check is the float needle for positive fuel shut-off when bowl is full.
Another item of possible concern is proper petcock operation.
Thirdly, the bystarter could be staying open when hot when it should close after a minute of running, which would flood the cylinder with gas.
There are certainly more items that need to be updated, cleaned, changed, replaced....but start with the carburetor.
The AIR FILTER is crucial to proper running on Spree.
If this bike has sat in a barn for several years, you should read through the suggested maintenance steps needed found in the Wikispreedia...look in the Board Index, click on any topic heading, and find the thread that says:
"Get answers to your questions right now: Wikispreedia"
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Terryfrost3
BMX
BMX

Post by Terryfrost3 »

Thank you Motor Mike. I'll look into that tonight. I know my petcock, and air filter are fine. I'm going to check into that float though for sure. Thank you very much
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Everything Mike said and double check the idle air mixture it may be a little too lean to allow it to start without the extra enrichment from the bystarter. When you stop the motor it takes a while for the bystarter to cool off and return to the start cold position so when the idle air mixture is too lean it won't start till its cold enough for the bystarter to have retracted to its cold/start position
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Terryfrost3
BMX
BMX

Post by Terryfrost3 »

Update: I went out and took out the bystarter and found that it actually came apart and was stuck down in there. I removed it and am going to look online to find a new one. Everything else seem to check out fine.Thanks for the help guys!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sometimes you can reassemble the bystarter it may have just vibrated apart. And sometimes the only repair is a replacement.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock