Stock SA50 Muffler Issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Stock SA50 Muffler Issues

Post by Dbroogs »

3 parts to this problem I am having.

1) The upper mounting bolt for the exhaust on the frame is useless. The threads on the frame actually snapped off. so there is no metal behind the bolt location on the muffler. This means that the bottom bolt has to do twice the holding of the muffler. It has caused the bottom bolt to shear off 2 times now. The first I drilled it out just fine and used another bolt. The second time I had to drill out the threads as well. Now herein lies the problem. I now have no threads in the frame so I used a lock nut and bolt combo to hold the muffler on. This recently fell off while I was riding. Is there a better way for me to support the muffler at this location? All i can think of is welding in a nut, but alas I do not have access to a welder. The bolt falling off while riding caused another problem for me too.

2) One of the studs at the exhaust flange was pulled out and broke off half-ish of the threads. Basically a little chunk of the exhaust flange broke off due to the added stress of just the studs supporting the muffler. How should I ensure the stud stays in the exhaust flange now? Sounds like another problem a weld could solve, but same problem, I do not have access to a welder.

3) Before this problem with the bolt falling off and stud coming out I noticed a slight gap between the muffler and the exhaust flange. Shouldn't this be pressed tight. The cap was probably half a quarter thickness, but enough for me to see light on either side of the exhaust gasket/protruding pipe part of the exhaust that goes into the exhaust flange. Should i just take a hammer to the exhaust and bend back the portion where its is tightened down. I suspect that it is bowed and that is why there is a gap.

I need help guys. I just got my build to keep temps below 370 and then this happens. I want to ride the d*mn thing, not just work on it! :evil:
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Stock setup: 6g rollers, 90MJ
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Stock SA50 Muffler Issues

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Any pic of your exhaust flange?
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

There's no easy fix you're going to have to put another bolt and nut with some Loctite on the threads. or take the cylinder head off and weld some studs on. you exhaust pipe Flange must be flat with no air leaks. Good luck :nerd:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Post by Dbroogs »

Here are photos of the damage :(
Attachments
brokenmount.png
brokenmount.png (213.88 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
nothreads.png
nothreads.png (175.1 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
broken stud-flange.png
broken stud-flange.png (217.99 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Hey your exhaust flange looks like mine. I welded the stud in place on mine but id be surprised if I get 3 months out of it. If I were you I'd start looking for either another stock bore or it's time to upgrade.

Wish I had some advice for the exhaust bracket but alas I don't.
Check out the GOOCH thread in the builders area to see what mine looked like. And trust me I have another Corsa lined up for when the weld fails. Cast iron + stainless studs are not great for welding conditions
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Post by Dbroogs »

Problem Solved. Tapped for 3/8" hardened bolt. Hole goes all the way through so it should be easy to drill out if it shears off. I bought like 3 3/8" bolts just in case.

Used a 30mm M6 bolt, a M6 washer and M6 lock nut for the exhaust flange. Threaded the bolt through like and tigthened onto lock not on the cylinder side of the exhaust flange. Works good and after I bent the muffler head back with a hammer it is a much tighter seal than before.
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Pics?
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb