upgraded gears in the AF16E motor

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Re: upgraded gears in the AF16E motor

Post by dem0nk1d »

i also notice that this break down shows part #17 never had this washer could this be the issue i am having. the online look up says #17 doesn't exist. FML!
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

dem0nk1d wrote:Image

i also notice that this break down shows part #17 never had this washer could this be the issue i am having. the online look up says #17 doesn't exist. FML!
Mine didn't have that washer either, bought one, didn't fix it. Remove all washers all together and see what happens.
My scooter is this color, and I like it.
97 Elite SA50
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

i removed everything, only kept the secondary gear and axle in. everything still bound up, either which way i had the gear. i think something is up with the machining.
Last edited by dem0nk1d on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Those s.s. washers are in there for a reason. Without them in place, the ends of the gears will be grinding away at the aluminum case and cover. Find another solution is what I'm saying........
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

bonesv wrote:Those s.s. washers are in there for a reason. Without them in place, the ends of the gears will be grinding away at the aluminum case and cover. Find another solution is what I'm saying........
Your thoughts? Ideas??
97 Elite SA50
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

dustflo wrote:
bonesv wrote:Those s.s. washers are in there for a reason. Without them in place, the ends of the gears will be grinding away at the aluminum case and cover. Find another solution is what I'm saying........
Your thoughts? Ideas??
Obviously the new set of gears is just a bit out of size, i.e., thickness/length, so just find a way to reduce their excess and you should be riding in no time. It can't be that difficult? There have been others before you who have remedied this problem.....hint, hint.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

That's helps me none my friend.
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Xxbeejay45xx wrote:I bought gears from diffrent sellers and one bike took both washers out and one I took one and it spins freely. Make sure you replace the paper gasket too. It's adds you extra mm to the space.
Did you ever have a problem with the one bike where you took both washers out? The gears didn't chew away at anything overtime?
97 Elite SA50
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

No not that I know of. I don't hear or feel any grinding and it's been a year or so. I put it on and had the same problem. Took one out and still not spinning freely and took the other one out and it spins fine so I left them out. I take my scooter up to 60 mph all the time.
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

What year bike do you have? You know that my 95 SR. is a bit different to my 2001 SR. One has bearing and one don't have a bearing but uses the washer if I remember correctly.
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Xxbeejay45xx wrote:What year bike do you have? You know that my 95 SR. is a bit different to my 2001 SR. One has bearing and one don't have a bearing but uses the washer if I remember correctly.
97 SR 50.
97 Elite SA50
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I had a set do this as well exact same spot, I put a shim on the axle that sat inside the seal right on the bearing and problem solved. It was the Tida straight cut gears, the gear is about 1mm thicker then stock and my other set of 8.44s that I have. What gears do you have there?
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The thrust washers serve a clearance purpose, but I don't believe they prevent the gears from "chewing". If they did, the washers themselves would get torn up. If the Aftermarket shafts are too long to use the washers, omit them.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The sole purpose of a thrust washer is to protect the soft metal from the harder shaft in axial movement. So yes it is there to protect the case from being chewed up. If you do chew up the case side you have to get a new case, if you ONLY chew up the cover side you get to replace the cover. I can send some pictures of what happens when washers are not used if anyone's interested.
Long story short you should not leave them out.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Also the reason your engine didn't have a thrust washer on the end of the final output shaft is because you have a different year, 98ish+ use a different gear cover than your 97. And there is a parts manual for your year specifically. No bearing on the gear cover and a thrust washer is a must, bearing on the gear cover and no thrust washer can be used.