upgraded gears in the AF16E motor

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Re: upgraded gears in the AF16E motor

Post by dem0nk1d »

curtis966 wrote:I had a set do this as well exact same spot, I put a shim on the axle that sat inside the seal right on the bearing and problem solved. It was the Tida straight cut gears, the gear is about 1mm thicker then stock and my other set of 8.44s that I have. What gears do you have there?
Do you know the thickness of the shim? There is about .50mm differences in thickness... So the new gear is half a mil thicker..

The shim you installed was towards the seal side of the engine on the axle? Basically under the pressed on gear... Let me know thanks! -DK
Last edited by dem0nk1d on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

1M8 is correct, and a mismatched cover didn't occur to me.. the axle shaft end od 1994-mid'98 is 15mm, to fit into a bearing. Late'98-2001 axles are thicker there, 16.5mm or so. It's possible to install the late cover on a skinny shaft, bit it won't work, or not for long. Those later shafts spin directly in the Al cover and a thin film of oil.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

curtis966 wrote:I had a set do this as well exact same spot, I put a shim on the axle that sat inside the seal right on the bearing and problem solved. It was the Tida straight cut gears, the gear is about 1mm thicker then stock and my other set of 8.44s that I have. What gears do you have there?
9:1:1 gears from G9. I did put the old big gear next to the new big gear and the new one did look a smidge wider.
My scooter is this color, and I like it.
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

1man8scoots wrote:The sole purpose of a thrust washer is to protect the soft metal from the harder shaft in axial movement. So yes it is there to protect the case from being chewed up. If you do chew up the case side you have to get a new case, if you ONLY chew up the cover side you get to replace the cover. I can send some pictures of what happens when washers are not used if anyone's interested.
Long story short you should not leave them out.
Well curse words, just when I thought I was okay with my no washers solution, you guys gone and done talked me out of going this route...

So about this shim used??? Where exactly again, what mm, size, where to buy?
97 Elite SA50
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda dealer can order by part number. Most parts have the OD and ID measurements. Thicknesses are likely 0.5mm for all except the plastic washer, which is closer tp 1mm.

I cannot argue with 1M8's experience, but I ran at least 2 engines with 1-2 missing washers, and without apparent damage. The key is to have something keeping the countershaft centered in its correct opsition. On a stock shaft, that's the washers. On a long shaft, it's the end-play.

So many different companies serving AF16, AF18 and later engines might make for too many permutations and results; they "sorta" fit, but one must adapt...

One last remark: check that the axle bearing in the crankcase side is installed all the way in and flat. Might have to sacrifice the seal to check it, but if it's diagonal it could cause the gear/case contact you describe. Otherwise yeah, your final gear really is too thick.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

here are some of my measurements. hope this will helps with the visual.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

So we basically have two situations here...
dem0nk1d's prob is his big gear is hitting the case binding everything up.

In my situation my big gear was not hitting the case but the second i tighten one bolt on the cover, all the gears bind and are stuck and im not sure why. Everything worked when I took out both metal thin washers on the counter shaft and I was happy with that until half of you guys said no no no while a few others have done this with no problems.

curtis966 mentioned this "shim" fix but not sure what that is or if that would fix my problem or dem0nk1d's problem. I still don't know whats binding me up. As i said earlier and as dem0nk1d posted in that picture, my new main big gear is slightly wider.

Final solutions?
97 Elite SA50
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

So here is how i stopped the gear from smashing on inside the case. I bought these from the local auto parts store "Oriley's"

These washers are 23.95mm wide x 1.24mm thick

As you can see i have everything test fitted like it would be in the actual case. Shaft slides through oil seal and then into case bearing. The washer sits directly up against the bearings face.

So far everything is working just fine. Waiting to order a new paper gasket for the trans. Other than that tuning the cvt system.

Thanks for the help guys! (beers) :2thumbs:

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

dem0nk1d wrote:So here is how i stopped the gear from smashing on inside the case. I bought these from the local auto parts store "Oriley's"

These washers are 23.95mm wide x 1.24mm thick

As you can see i have everything test fitted like it would be in the actual case. Shaft slides through oil seal and then into case bearing. The washer sits directly up against the bearings face.

So far everything is working just fine. Waiting to order a new paper gasket for the trans. Other than that tuning the cvt system.

Thanks for the help guys! (beers) :2thumbs:
Dem pm sent.
97 Elite SA50