Polini variator with boss issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Polini variator with boss issues

Post by dem0nk1d »

So reading over Wheelman's post that you must shim out the kicker case. I will investigate future into this later today. What are the cause and effects of using the stock boss vs the polini once the case is shimmed out?

Also anyone have an ideal size of washer thickness that is being used?

As discussed in this section on case shimming
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =8&t=13033
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
Wheelman-111

Re: Polini variator with boss issues

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I had forgotten I had even written that. You can simoly re-use the stock S boss inside the Polini-for-S variator, and even If you bought the For-Ruckus version but still use the S rear pulley. You only need to shim out the case if you use a longer boss/thicker belt. This is to keep the kickstarter castle clear of the dogs on the outer pulley face. 1mm thick washers seem to be enough. I used a Kymco outer pulley that is shorter and stays clear even without shimming. So does the aftermarket Alu drive face.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

thanks, for the info. i got the gears dialed in on the bike i will post an update later on my fix from my other post. I just ran around the block with the Stage 1 setup from Scooter Swap Shop. which is the 15x42 gear set, Polini Variator with boss, rollers, belt, springs... and i think that's it. I'm using the stock boss was able to hit 48mph down hill with the setup and the stock spring clutch. it has no low end at all. I tried the blue spring clutch shoes as recommended and it seems to over rev before actually engaging... more tuning needed.
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetimgs:

What gram load in the vario? With gears, nothing but more power can fox 0 to 8 MPH, but the right weights make acceleration after that just like stock. Beware a high clutch stall speed allowing the variator to start moving the belt before the clutch engages. Second-gear starts. With a stock Contra spring, 30-36 grams is usually about right.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

i've been using the 5.6 grams. the other set i have are 6.9grams.

Roller Numbers
5.6 grams x 3 = 16.8 grams
5.6 grams x 6 = 33.6 grams
6.9 grams x 3 = 20.7 grams
6.9 grams x 6 = 41.4 grams

6.9 grams x 3 + 5.6 grams x 3 = 37.5 combo mixed

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

If i opt out on using the Polini boss i would be losing some speed as well. Right? The belt will not travel to the top of the variator like it should.

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

dem0nk1d wrote:If i opt out on using the Polini boss i would be losing some speed as well. Right? The belt will not travel to the top of the variator like it should.
It may depend on which ramp plate you use.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

bonesv wrote:
dem0nk1d wrote:If i opt out on using the Polini boss i would be losing some speed as well. Right? The belt will not travel to the top of the variator like it should.
It may depend on which ramp plate you use.
stock drive face, and variator is polini, and polini ramp...

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150