CH80 Clutch woes...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

CH80 Clutch woes...

Post by EastCoastCB »

I have a thread going but thought since I'm having so many technical difficulties with the clutch I'd start a dedicated thread.

I am having a loud squealing sound from the clutch as the shoes engage the bell. The scooter will start to move when I twist the throttle, but after a couple feet I get a loud clutch squeak.

I've already replaced the driven face assembly and totally gone through the variator. I replaced the rollers and the belt when I replaced the clutch. For the first 50 miles the sound was gone. Then a little chirp here and there. Now 150 miles later its back just as bad as before. Gets worse with heat and use. Only makes this noise at take off.

Today I pulled the side cover back off (and tore up the recently replaced gasket :sad: ) and pulled the bell and clutch pack off. The shoes and bell are only wearing on one side. About 1/4" or so.. Rougly half-ish of the area looks untouched. The other side showing signs of wearing quickly.

I need this scooter for transportation and am running out of money quickly. I'm about broke and have spent most of the last of it acquiring and attempting to repair this scooter.

Anyone experience this before?
I'm wondering if the shaft is bent or maybe the bearing(s) are worn. What would cause this kind of failure with 4400 miles on the machine? Should I pull the transmission apart? Any advice appreciated... I've already gotten some over in the general thread. Thanks to all who have welcomed me to the forum and offered advice so far!
I do have a spare 99 CH80 that I could pull parts off of, but I've not even attempted to even fire it up yet and its in a bit rougher shape with double the miles.
I do have some time to put into this, as I'm mostly unemployed and its been rainy lately. I'm trying to borrow a dial gauge to check the shaft for runout.
does it matter that the clutch never would make the sound when on the center stand??
Maybe this scooter was abused by the previous owner?
Gah, sorry for rambling. This has consumed a lot of my time lately, I'm going mad with this addiction already...
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Re: CH80 Clutch woes...

Post by EastCoastCB »

I've got a transmission replacement coming. From a good parts bike that was in near mint condition with 1800 miles. A 2007. Where my clutch came from.
And a couple transmission cover gaskets and side cover gaskets. I wish there were a felpro perma-dry gasket available for that left side cover.
For 70 I got the whole assembly shipped. I'll eventually rebuild what comes out of it, but I just want to be scooting yesterday!
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Well something is odd here. Even with an air compressor and impact, I can't get the rear wheel nut to budge one bit.
Been at it for an hour now.

Edit- finally got the sucker off. Must have been on there pretty tight.
I should have the new (used) final drive tomorrow.
I am also waiting on the gasket. I didn't mess around this time. Got two transmission gaskets and two left side cover gaskets.

REALLY hoping to have this thing fixed and done after all this.

I have some grooved brake shoes front and rear that I'll be installing and I still have to do the front tire. And maybe if I'm lucky my cheapo mini tach will be here by next week.

Once this one is *finished* then I really want to do a low buck custom job on the black 99.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Got the gears and stuff out.
Going to have to get some sort of bearing puller for the little ball bearing that is on the back of the final shaft.
I'm going to do the rear wheel bearing and seal while I'm there too, and putting on the ebc grooved shoes.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Comparing all the parts I have off three scooters, I can't find anything that seems wrong or defective at all in the final gearing...

Looks like this is definitely more a "repair diary" than a discussion.
Maybe someone out there will benefit, maybe not. Maybe it will be right after this, maybe not.

Pretty d*** frustrating bit of ownership so far.

I'd maybe even pay for someone to fix it for me but I know of no one who does any kind of decent work around here.
And besides, I'm sorta poor.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

my original bell and shoes

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

You had some material get under your bell in between it and the clutch. When squealing happens 9/10 it's dust or what ever in between. Just like a brake drum on a car. The lines in it are a telltale sign of a dirty clutch. New bell should clear it up. I have several ch80 trans gaskets in case you run out.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

New bell wore very unevenly and in less than a hundred miles the noise was back with a vengeance.
the new stuff after removal-

The entire clutch/driven face was swapped for a different one. The bell was replaced with a new oem unit. The belt was replaced and the rollers as well. Variator and every other part were cleaned thoroughly upon assembly.
Was fine and less than 100 miles later noise was present again.
Pulled it all and there isn't even wear on the shoes or bell.
I'm thinking that the uneven contact was creating piles of metal in the bell that caused the lines and scoring.
New bearings and gears going in this week. Will block sand the shoes a bit and I'm going to get a good caliper to measure inside the bell with.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Use Emory cloth to clean up the pads. Strike it going one direction then go back the other way until it's even in color. Then clean it all down with brake parts cleaner. Bummer it's giving you so much trouble.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Thanks for the suggestions. If this doesn't fix it, then I'm lost... I guess then it will be time to buy a NEW driven face and try.
But I'm running on empty financially and have already spent hundreds trying to fix this.

This thing had to have been abused horribly in some fashion by the previous owner.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Geez- parts are taking forever to get here.

Picking up a semi-running Derbi Atlantis today or tomorrow. :)
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

New bearings and seal are in. Time to carefully put this thing back together.

What's the verdict on omitting the washer on the variator?
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

I got it all back together. Then an exhaust stud twisted off when I was tightening it down. I was even being careful... Jeez. Now I have to figure out how to extract the broken stud.
I guess engine removal is the only way. Jesus christ this scooter is cursed.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

Well I pulled a miracle and got the stud out fairly easily.
Used a dremel to make a really straight slot roughly a sixteenth or so deep. I used a screwdriver that fit into the slot and pushed into it as hard as I could whilst turning it. Pre-soaked with a dab of PB Blaster at the base of the stud and let it sit an hour before I started.
I got a new stud at Ace that is a perfect replacement. Its maybe a mm longer than stock and comes in black oxide finish.
I added a washer to each cap nut so that they won't bottom out and CAREFULLY torqued em down.
I think the other factory stud is going to let go the next time it is taken out. Just a hunch. I thought about replacing it while everything was apart but I didn't want to test my luck. All I'd need would be for it for twist off, this time lower than the last stud.
The last one left me at least 3/16" or 1/4" to work with.

I used a can of Rustoleum 2000f high temp satin black paint on the exhaust while it was off. Look FANTASTIC. I took a couple pics which I always forget to do, and will post em later. If this stuff holds up as well as it looks I'll be tickled pink. :)
One bummer is that I had to re-use the exhaust gasket. It was new until I popped the stud off. Just going to hope its ok, it should be.

The factory studs, in my opinion, are garbage and should be replaced while they're still decent if you're in there. In about 5k miles when I do the rear tire and engine mount bushings, I'll be replacing the remaining factory one on mine. Peace of mind is worth the $2.

So now I'm about to go button it back up and look everything over.
Then I'm going to think about my options for replacing the front tire. I'm going to upgrade the front brake shoes while I'm doing so. I've got some grooved EBC's. already did the back a few days ago.

Can't wait to take it for a ride!