Headlight replacment with LED lightbar

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

sffalcon
BMX
BMX

Headlight replacment with LED lightbar

Post by sffalcon »

Greetings! Im still new to the world of scooters and have a question about electrical on my 88 Elite 50. My headlight bulb just went out and I had the thought of replacing the entire housing with a small LED bar. The image below is the bar i am looking at. It will fit in the area I'm looking to mount. My question is will the electrical be able to handle this light? I know the stock light takes 25w, this light takes 18w. I might be missing/ misunderstanding something here as I am a NOOB!

Thoughts?
Attachments
light bar.JPG
light bar.JPG (56.85 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
xXsHrEdXx
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Headlight replacment with LED lightbar

Post by 1man8scoots »

The Cree led won't like AC feeding it. You'll have to use a DC line from the battery or switch. At least that's what I've found in my experience.
patthesoundguy

Re: Headlight replacment with LED lightbar

Post by patthesoundguy »

1man is correct that light won't likley work directly from the the headlight wire. You may be able to use a bridge rectifier to get DC from the headlight wire though. I have been meaning to try it out with a led headlight bulb on my spree, with a bridge rectifier on the headlight wire. Bridge rectifiers cost a dollar or two, I have a bunch.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock