My 1985 Honda Spree is no longer running! Start issues,,

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

klucas765
Noob
Noob

My 1985 Honda Spree is no longer running! Start issues,,

Post by klucas765 »

So I've been through a lot with this 1985 Honda Spree that I acquired about a week and a half ago.. First things first, I bought it on Craigslist and have never been able to get her quite running too well.. After a new battery, a new air filter, and a quick cleaning of the gas tank, I had her running a couple of days ago and she was doing pretty well! Maxing out at '~25mph' according to the Spree's speedometer. I wanted to give her a little more TLC so I gave the exhaust a chemical bath and dumped out all that old carbon that had built up in there, and after I was able to run water through it clear, I stuck her back on the bike and took her for a spin.

Within ~5 min or less she died on me. I chalked it up as an issue with fuel flow, the petcock didn't seem to want to allow fuel flow so I drilled a hole in her to render the vaccum useless and installed a shutoff valve and new filter and wah-la! A steady stream of fuel now flows from my tank to the carb. But even then she still wouldn't start!

So I popped of the carb, grabbed some carb cleaner and compressed air and clean her up. She was definitely dirty before, and I believe that center hole had some gunk in it, but now she looks good!

I was going to take a look at the engine and the clutch, but I couldn't get the bolts to unscrew.

I put her back together and this is where she left me, the high pitched start sounding similar to where she was before when she died earlier, although I think the exhaust sounds better.

Any ideas?? :sad:

Here's a video of me trying to get her to start while pulling the throttle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQtsu7S9Aw