Give it gas, it bogs and dies

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

waltz
Noob
Noob

Give it gas, it bogs and dies

Post by waltz »

Hi,

Going to get rid of the other Spree I wrote about (got gas, got fire, no start). It had 30psi compression. Had 120psi with a squirt of oil. Broke ring, etc. Will be someone else's problem soon.

Anyway, got another one. Made one good scooter out of 2. But, when I ride it, it will bog (always) and die (sometimes) when I give it gas. Like a really cold-natured car with no choke. Close the throttle and it will pick up again.

Have taken the carb apart several times and even swapped out the carb from the other bike (which ran just fine before the 'big event'). Messing with the air screw seems to help some. Feels like the main circuit (?) isn't doing it's job. But, since it acts the same with 2 different carbs, I think it is something else.

Gas is filling the filter.

It will get going if I'm REAL easy on the throttle, but even when I'm going 10 or 15 mph, opening the throttle all the way will result in the bog and it dies. Something is making it run big-time lean.

Saw one post about no filter making it "not run right". Other bike had no filter and did just fine, so not a problem, I'm guessing, on this scooter.

Ideas?

Thanks for your help.
jimpomm
Noob
Noob

Post by jimpomm »

Maybe the filter is rated at too low of a flow for what you need.Try a higher flow filter.Is air filter clean?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

try a filter.thats your problem. i guarantee it. thats also why you blew the rings. it ran too lean.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You blew a ring on the other without a filter, you'll do the same again with this one. Get the filter setup back to OEM before you blow another set of rings.
waltz
Noob
Noob

Post by waltz »

A filter it is then.

Not too much of a 2-cycle guy. Is the restriction from the filter a necessary part of the intake process?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

yes it will barely run without one. i was suprised too. even if you use a spree without one it will go slow as *.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

waltz wrote:A filter it is then.

Not too much of a 2-cycle guy. Is the restriction from the filter a necessary part of the intake process?
I haven't figured out exactly why it's so sensitive, but it is. You'll be shocked.
waltz
Noob
Noob

Post by waltz »

Ok. Got the filter, but something looks missing.

Got the foam thing. Is there supposed to be some kind of screen or holder to keep the foam in place in the air box? I just have the box and lid. Is that it?

Should have asked Honda while there, I guess. Oh well, I'll ask here.

Thanks.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

waltz wrote:Ok. Got the filter, but something looks missing.

Got the foam thing. Is there supposed to be some kind of screen or holder to keep the foam in place in the air box? I just have the box and lid. Is that it?

Should have asked Honda while there, I guess. Oh well, I'll ask here.

Thanks.
nope, no screen. the foam should have two litle holes, where you place it inside the air box. thats what keeps it in place.
projects galore :nerd:
waltz
Noob
Noob

Post by waltz »

Gentleman, I bow to the Forces on the 2-CYCLE Dark Side!! Smoke and Mirrors!!

I put in a filter and IT RAN DOWN THE STREET AND BACK!!!!! Further than all other trips combined.

You guys are awsome. Now if I can just 'go rounds' at the track to make this effort worthwhile! But, that's another problem.

Thanks for y'all's help.