Elite Running Lean

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rowe94
Goped
Goped

Elite Running Lean

Post by rowe94 »

So I have a Honda Elite 50 1996 which I've been running and its been great! I am getting right below 50MPH with a Goshi Pipe, aftermarket Vari and Clutch. I think I have a stock bore but I am not 100% sure.... Anyways I recently installed a CHT just to monitor everything... at this same time I cut the zip tie the previous owner had on the oil pump...
Today While I was riding I got up to 446 degrees on the CHT!!! I dunno how that is possible. I let off of WOT and drove home slow. When I checked though I am running a 95 in the main jet which seems really high. I am thinking about installing a double cable so that when I am WOT the engine will be getting more oil and hopefully wont be running as lean. Does a 95 seem really high for my main jet? I dunno the plug was pretty white when I checked also..
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Elite Running Lean

Post by tazland001 »

Well here is what I would do. Zip tie the oil injector at max flow again and see if this happens again. If your plug is still white and your temps are still climbing it sounds like your to lean not to rich. If the jet was to big you would be running rich. Once you cut the zip tie on the oil injector you cut some of the flow down and that could have caused you to run lean on oil.

Taz
Wheelman-111

Re: Elite Running Lean

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If it ran great with a 95, it's almost certain that it's a big-bore kit. That size jet would absolutely choke a 50cc, unless you had an open filter, pipe and/or a huge Air Leak. There must've been a reason for tying the pump open wide. A quality smaller bore can tolerate 400, 450, even 500 degrees for a short time. 50s and especially 51s are wafer-thin cylinder walls and won't take that abuse at all.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH