Engine Bogging

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Hollandgriff
Noob
Noob

Engine Bogging

Post by Hollandgriff »

I have a 1986 honda spree nq50. It sat for 25years till last summer when i inherited it and got it running. I rode it as a daily driver to save on gas. Recently, ive been upgrading her. I got an upgraded spark plug, spark pug wire, and proformance cdi. Today i installed a 74cc big bore kit. It came with all necessary parts including a bigger jet. Whrn we got it running, the engine seemed to sound boggy. Before when this happened we just adjusted the gas. We tried that again but it still bogs. Along with the bogging, the speed took a dump. Just testing it out on the road, we only got to 20mph. We hope its just the break in, but open to any ideas
Wheelman-111

Re: Engine Bogging

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It' not clear what you mean by "Boggy". How, exactly, did "we adjust the gas"? Just the air screw? How does the engine respond to throttle, exactly? Does it rev without power, four-stroke, or just stop firing and slow down?

Before "adjusting" anything else, I would recommend you pull the plastics and examine everything you've installed. Look for leaks, especially around the intake air box, filter, and that rubber mount to the carb mouth. Look for oil seeping around the various gaskets. Test your compression. Those blue CDIs often are not an "upgrade", despite their claims. I'd put the Honda module back in before going much farther.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Hollandgriff
Noob
Noob

Post by Hollandgriff »

Thanks. I ended up checking the gaskets as you said. Upon further inspection, i saw that there was a leak in the cylinder. We put the gasket on wrong so gas was not getting into the cylinder.thanks for your help
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I am happy you found the cause. Did you generously grease the gasket before installing the cylinder? If so there is a chance of re-use. If not Taz may have replacements.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

A74cc big bore kit for a spree? Where did you get this from?!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Ultraliner wrote:A74cc big bore kit for a spree? Where did you get this from?!
Board member "tazland001" also sells on ebay with the username "chop-chop123"...Spree big-bore kits.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"