a sad noob needs help (starter)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

a sad noob needs help (starter)

Post by Ozzimo »

So heres my story: I have a 1986 spree and all last summer I used it to comute a few blocks away to work. Well now its winter and its had trouble starting the few times I've wanted to use it. Now here comes the wierd part. I was riding back home from accross town and felt like using the kick start rather than the electric starter just to make sure it still worked. It did but after I kicked it the turn signals went all wonky on me. I would turn left lets say and the signal would either be non-existant or very slow until I reved the motor then the click and the indicator light both accelerated eraticlly, its hard to exlain ut it wasn't a steady click as if it were somehow connected to the accelerator. So I get home and come back to it a few days later. I try to start it using the Electric start and get nothing. No click, no rev, no spark. I try the kick start about 10 times. Didn't seem to do anything far as I could tell. Anyway. The way i see it, it should still start even if the battery were dead right?

I don't know much about this kind of thing but I do have a basic knowledge of why an engine works.

Any ideas?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

the starter wont work if the batt. is dead. the kickstarter should work but the key has to be on either way. i dont know your knowlage of these but the brake has to be pulled in to use the starter. if the battery is charged and the key is on but nothing works you blew a fuse. there is a fuse on the right side of the battery.
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

Ok if I blew a fuse, what would I be looking for? Like what would the fuse look like in comparison to a non-burnt out fuse?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Ozzimo wrote:Ok if I blew a fuse, what would I be looking for? Like what would the fuse look like in comparison to a non-burnt out fuse?
its very easy to find. just look at the positive wire coming from the battery, along there is a fuse. its like a small cylinder 6amp fuse. i have a 7.5amp just because they didnt have the 6a at autozone. so get one of those and replace it.

(if its burnt out, the little wire inside wont be connected)
projects galore :nerd:
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

Thanks, I'll check it out after class. :)
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

so u know if you have to buy a new fuse it is a glass type 6 amp fuse.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I would check your fuse connector for corrosion as well, while at it. You may also have other electrical issues going on (like chassis grounds that need tightening.)
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

You were both right. I went to open the fuse case and the wire that connected the fuse to the battery slipped out from the battery. It makes sense, the copper was corroded preatty badly so I stripped it a bit and added one of those metal circles at the end (know what i mean?) anyway, screwed the wire back into the battery and got it running. It runs fine now. It got me thinking though about some maintnac for it, Spacifically the air filter and the spark plugs but i'll search the forum for it. Thanks for the help. :)