Derestrict?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Hollandgriff
Noob
Noob

Derestrict?

Post by Hollandgriff »

I recently upgraded my 86 spree to a 75cc big bore kit. I adjusted the mixture, even added octane. It came with a bigger jet and i did that too but it still only tops out at around 30mph... What am i doing wrong?
Wheelman-111

Re: Derestrict?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Probably nothing. Your acceleration should have improved, but your top speed will remain limited by the low gearing necessary to get going off the line and the low top RPM of the AF05 engine. There are slightly taller gears available - from Tazland?. A pipe and porting may raise RPM a bit, but don't expect much faster than 35.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Wheelman speaks the hard truth of a big bore kit on a spree. You get way more torque with your added displacement but with out changing the gear ratio in the transmission you want change the top speed. The easiest way to get more top speed is to swap the belt for a 1/2" wide belt. I think the size I settled on was an ax23 that fit properly. It's tricky getting it on there without stripping the threads on the end of the crank but you will gain about 5mph. My spree with bbk, 21mm carb, pipe and belt swap did between 43 and 45 mph. If you stick to the stock carb and pipe I bet you could get maybe 38mph with the belt swap. No guarentees though ;-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Both Wheelman and Pat speak the truth.
The lack of variator is the deal breaker here.
I discovered what you have found too, I love Spree's but sold them all and bought faster scooters.
I am looking to hit 85 with my latest project.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.