Long time reader. First time poster! Spree tires/shocks ??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Long time reader. First time poster! Spree tires/shocks ??

Post by jakubman1 »

Hello everyone i have a couple questions. I have a 1985 honda spree with 2000 miles. I would like to replace the tires and shocks. My first question is : If i replace the tires with perallis and which are a tad larger 2.75 can i replace the rear shock with a new honda Ruckus shock without it rubbing the tires or major modification to the scooter?? If so can someone please send me a few links to the tires and the rear shock i should buy? My second question is : How do i go about replacing the front shocks?? Thank you so much!
Jakub :)
Just Joel
Goped
Goped

Re: Long time reader. First time poster! Spree tires/shocks

Post by Just Joel »

2.75" wide Dunlops on my spree with no clearance issues front or rear
84 Honda Spree... The plastic at least.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Alright! And also could you please t ell me what about my shocks? Which ones will fit on the spree with those tires ? Thanks a lot !:)
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Also where is the best place to buy tires ? Do I need Tubes? Thanks a lot !:)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

jakubman1 wrote:Also where is the best place to buy tires ? Do I need Tubes? Thanks a lot !:)
I don't know the best place to buy tires bu I do know its a real good idea to replace the tubes with the tires. Especially if the tires were the originals. You are likley to find the original tubes will be rusted to the inside of the wheels at least somewhat. And even if they aren't tubes are so inexpensive why mess around. Nothing worse than installing a shiny new Scooter tire and have it go flat on the first ride. You will enjoy those good quality tires for sure. It will be a whole new ride. And I'd go to scooterswapshop for shock advice, he stocks all kinds.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

What are the best tubes? Anything for the front shocks? Ill post pics soon my scooter only has a couple scratches.:) :coolcruise:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

jakubman1 wrote:What are the best tubes? Anything for the front shocks? Ill post pics soon my scooter only has a couple scratches.:) :coolcruise:
I use the Chen shn tubes because that's what everyone around here stocks they run about 6$-8$ Canadian here and they seem perfectly fine to me. As for front shocks if you want something different on your spree you will need to swap out the front forks from a different Scooter. It's a fairly common thing have a look here n the board at some if the dio swaps in to sprees a lot of those have swapped in better front forks to get disc brakes and better saftey. If you have a spree that is stock you won't be going any faster than 35mph or so and I'd leave the front end alone. My spree has 4500 miles on it and now has a Dio in it and it goes 50mph no problem and the front shocks are perfectly fine. Now if I was blasting that speed all the time and went faster I would swap to better forks for better brakes and road contact for sure.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Hey thanks a lot for the info! Is there anything i can do for the rear shock then? I read somewhere here that the honda ruckus shock would swap in fine but which one? I would like a new one but there are so many! I just want an upgrade for the rear then. And if the ruckus shock fits fine what about when i replace the tires with the 2.75 -10 size will it rub?
Thank you very much. Right now iam waiting on JW clutch works to send me my re done clutch. It went out after replacing old belt.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Will this shock fit my spree with the new wider tires??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3314602366 ... ps&lpid=82

I need help ! The tires im going to get will be the perellis that are a tad bigger. Do you think my local honda shop will carry a new stock rear shock? Will i have to worry about rubbing at all with a stock shock?
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I contacted motorcycle super store and they said to get the 90/90 tires for my spree. And the only good one they have are the metzlers. Is that the best tire? Sometimes i it gravel or go off into the grass. Mostly on street and sidewalk. What else is best for this spree? Thank you so much for your help !!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've never run a Spree, but reading on here strongly suggests there's no way 90/90 (3.54" wide) tires will fit. 2.75s are repeatedly reported as the largest you can install. Metzler makes good, long-wearing tires.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I chat with someone from the motorcycle superstore and he told me to get this size :SIZE: 90/90-10 50J
I'm confused :( thanks a lot. I'm doing lots of research on tires and tubes. Hopefully.I can get a new shock at Honda
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Chances are that MotorCycle SuperStore dude has never owned a Spree. I have owned two, although I never got them on the road. The front fork spacing is pretty tight, even for a 2.75. Out back, the room at the engine case is likewise limited. Spree owners?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Thank you wheelman for your.reply. I contacted Honda they discontinued the rear shock :( thank you.all for.your.help. still looking.for.tires.and.at least a rear shock :)
motormike

Post by motormike »

jakubman1 wrote:Hello everyone i have a couple questions. I have a 1985 honda spree with 2000 miles. I would like to replace the tires and shocks. My first question is : If i replace the tires with perallis and which are a tad larger 2.75 can i replace the rear shock with a new honda Ruckus shock without it rubbing the tires or major modification to the scooter?? If so can someone please send me a few links to the tires and the rear shock i should buy? My second question is : How do i go about replacing the front shocks?? Thank you so much!
Jakub :)

Hello jakubman ... :hi:
Please take a look at Bike Bandit for tires.
Here is a link to what you are wanting.
CLICK this LINK below
http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/m ... ooter-tire

You will not find any new shocks for the front of Spree
The only way to fit a new shock to the rear is to take measurements and buy an aftermarket shock that will adhere to those measurements.
Fit and "rub" factor will be trial and error, but any 2.75 tire will fit and not rub the OEM shock.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"