Late 80's Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

TeamQue
Noob
Noob

Late 80's Spree

Post by TeamQue »

I'm new to this forum so first off, Hi everybody!!!

As a previous owner to a 86 Spree, I've been itching to find another one for myself.

Here is where I need some advise. I struck up a conversation with someone today and we were discussing mopeds. Turns out they have a "1990" (don't know if that is accurate - I think it is a last 80's) Spree.

Their son had it in college and stated that while running, it was making a "knocking" sound. Well, the son didn't take dad's advise to have it looked at. It don't run now...

This is what I know / been told... It is in very good condition with "low" miles. Don't know if it turns over. It ran good before.

I was asked if I wanted to buy it...

#1: Any ideas from the brief description of the problem what could be wrong?

#2: The 1st price named was $100.00 however, I think that is high. They, or I, don't not know what the "junk" price is for one of these.

#3: Any opinions as to what may be involved in fixing this thing???

I know this isn't much information, and will appreciate any comments or advise. Thanks for hearing me out!!!

ð
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

For $100.00, I'd buy any Spree with a motor and wheeles. lol. As far as the "Knocking" sound, you may want to do a compression test and see if the rings are burnt up. Now, I have never heard of anything like this before aon a spree, but my friend's dirtbike had the same "knocking" sound and it turns out his piston was loose in the cylinder and ended up cracking the piston. From what the Honda Spree Service Manual says, you should have between 90 psi and 115psi, any lower, then you need to inspect the top end internally (piston damage, scored cylinder, worn out - no rings). Remember, I havn't personally experienced this, and I will probably be hounded by other members of the forums about giving false/ nonuseful info. Good luck!

I would buy this Spree if I were you, as we can help you get it going time and time again.
I try to fix things with a hammer and wrench!
gadgetman
Noob
Noob

spree

Post by gadgetman »

Check your PM's (Private messages) I sent you one. Hope to talk to you soon. Gadgetman
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Price depends on condition. Mint, maybe $500 (anyone seen one go for more?) Average condition seems to fetch $250-350.

If everything's in really great shape on it, besides the motor, it might be worth $100, to someone. But a lot of us have gotten these cheap/free when in poor condition and not running.

Knocking sounds means the piston is probably shot and hammering into the head. For a rude awakening to m/c part prices, head to your local Honda shop and price out a piston, rod, bearings, and rings. While you're at it, talk to the shop about reboring the cylinder, which is probably scored. Or even having them do all the work for you. I'll bet the total is well over $200 for parts, and $400 for parts and labor.

Used parts and sweat equity would be the only way to get this together economically. You feel up to it?
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

So I was kinda right on my diagnosis. Sweet!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Yep. Caught early, this is a cheap set of pin bearings. Now it needs a complete topend (the head is probably shot too.)
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

I saw one on ebay for i think it was 900..
I'll sell you my running one for $900, if you'd like.
gadgetman
Noob
Noob

spree

Post by gadgetman »

I also seen that one on Ebay, it went for $999.00. Here is link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT . It's an 87 with 850 miles, guy made it sound like it was only one in existance in that condition. NOT
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

That's obsurd! I wouldn't pay that price for one straight from honda with 0 miles on it in truly mint condition! The dumbass who bought it got ripped BIG time!

What a retard.

Oh my god!

How can someone be so dumb?

(I'll quit now)
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

he also said something like 35 mph+.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
Ozzimo
Goped
Goped

Post by Ozzimo »

<my 2 cents> I bouht my 86 spree for 450 last summer. Original stuff all around, had the mirrors still attached which is nice. But it also had 3300+ miles on it. Seat was in great condition.
TeamQue
Noob
Noob

Post by TeamQue »

Well... Didn't think this was going to be such a HOT topic...

I think I was wrong about the year of my previous Spree. Must have been a 85 because it didn't have a kick start.

Anyway, I bought it for $358.00, tax title and license. Sold it the next year for $350.00 with 1,000 miles on it to a high school chick who was begging for it. Bought an Urban Express for $300.00 one week later.

Anyway, I regret selling the Spree... Which is why I'm here today.

ð
jimpomm
Noob
Noob

Post by jimpomm »

going price for a decent one seems to be around $450 now.Think they are getting more popular with high gas prices.The one I sold went for $464 this week see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... RK:MESE:IT
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Haha, i paid $45 for TWO spree's... lol, may not run or anything but... $45, haha
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

someone bought that for $1000? holy s***! i was wrong he said it went 42mph. * i could say my spree has 400 miles on it if i ripped apart the dash and rolled back the odometer 2000 miles. (which is what i will do if i decide to sell it so be warned.lol) for a $1000 he could have bought a scooter with balls instead of this.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx