Help starting 1987 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Robertmedan
Noob
Noob

Help starting 1987 Spree

Post by Robertmedan »

My son picked up a Spree for free. It only has 377 miles on it and is in good shape. Ran about a year ago so siphoned old gas out and put in fresh gas and a brand new battery. It won't start with either the kick starter or button. When you push starter there is nothing. The starter doesn't engage at all. I figure the carb needs cleaning and the fuel lines need to be cleared. Any thoughts on starter not working? Many thanks in advance.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Help starting 1987 Spree

Post by vintagegarage »

Are you holding one of the brakes on while you push the starter button, and is the rear brake light on? The stock electrical system requires a brake to be on before the starter will spin.
Robertmedan
Noob
Noob

Post by Robertmedan »

That is good to know. I just tried starting it by holding the brake and starter spins freely. Not starting yet but I will keep trying and see if we are getting fuel and go from there.
Newbie problem on my end. Thanks.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Try opening the float bowl drain screw and then crank the motor over untill you get fuel freely flowing from the carb in to a pan under the Scooter of course :-) once you get fresh fuel through the lines to the carb close the drain screw. You may have a chance of getting the motor to fire. Check out the air filter element and make sure its intact. I find when scooters sit for a long period that getting fresh fuel into the carb bowl helps to get it started. And I will sometimes choke the intake of the air box. If I can't choke the intake of the air box like I can on a spree like on my aero 80 I plug the end of the exhaust with my finger to get a rich condition while I crank the motor a bit and not have to crank and crank.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Robertmedan
Noob
Noob

Post by Robertmedan »

I loosened the screw and cranked for a while and no fuel flowed through. I also tried choking the air box to make a rich mixture and did not get a start. I do not smell fuel coming into the card at all so I am assuming there is some sort of obstruction from the tank/fuel lines prior to entering carb.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

take the vacuum and gas lines off the carb and suck on the vacuums line and gas should flow only when vacuums is on it. Watch out because if the valve is bad sometimes gas will flow into your mouth. I would put new lines anyway, the gas now days eats up those olds ones and clogs the carb up. I would also clean the carb out good and run some seafood and new injector oil mix through it. It could also have a clogged exhaust if it still doesn't tart. but for now just check the petcock/fuelvalve.ect then also take the plug out and put the boot on and see if the plug sparks when you turn the motor on. if not replace the plug and if it still donuts fire its electrical.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Sounds like a fuel issue, definitely start with the fuel petcock located under the gas tank in the front. You can test this by pulling off the bottom line (Vac) and using one of those fuel line testers as I don't recommend sucking on it! If I were you, since these sprees are so old, most of them have the original petcock and haven't been replaced, I'd get a new petcock, some new lines, a new spark plug, and adjust the carb to the proper settings, then just maybe it'll fire right up! Hope this helps, I've worked on dozens of Honda Sprees.
Robertmedan
Noob
Noob

Post by Robertmedan »

I pulled out the vacuum and sucked on the line and fuel flowed freely through the fuel line. Everything seems clean. No obstructions and the strainer is clean with no rust in the tank. I pulled the spark plug and cranked it and there is no spark. I guess that is the issue and glad to have narrowed it down. Any other pointers would be great. I can't see how it has any bad parts with the miles being so low but am open suggestions.
Thanks!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Check to make sure your cdi and coil are all unbroken wires, next check to see if your blinkers and rear lamp work. if so then it is eaither your cdi or boot.
Robertmedan
Noob
Noob

Post by Robertmedan »

Just like you said. I found a lose wire and now she runs!! Fuel line is leaking out of petcock with hole in it so I am going to replace with new ones. Thanks to everyone for all the help. Once it is back together will post pics.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Good good now ride it till it breaks again :D
Robertmedan
Noob
Noob

Post by Robertmedan »

Only issue now I believe is the carb. Every time, I have to start it up by using a little bit of throttle while also using the starter button. After that it idles fine after I played with the carb's setting a bit. Riding is fine but the only problem is that after continuous riding and holding the throttle down, the moped will stall after coasting and braking into a stop. If I add a little gas it's fine, but if I don't it'll stall. Any thoughts? I think maybe more playing with the carb and a good cleaning it'll be ok. Also here are the pics I promised of the '87 Spree!
Attachments
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG (32.49 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG (35.38 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Post by kuromi »

That is one fine looking scoot you have there :thumbsup:
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I agree that is one nice looking spree. The stalling issue is one of two things. Either the small orifice in the float bowl that feeds the idle circuit is clogged and or the idle air mixture and idle are off. Grab the trusty manual and follow the procedure for setting the idle air mixture and you will know pretty quick if the idle circuit is clogged. If it starts fine you are prob fine with the carb. Set that mixture and idle speed and it will be likley your off throttle stalls will be a thing of the past. Couldn't hurt to look in the carb but try the idle air mixture first. Also set the gap on the plug to 0.025" it helps.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Robertmedan
Noob
Noob

Post by Robertmedan »

OK thanks a lot. I'll give it a try!