Loose kickstarter

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Loose kickstarter

Post by Hksdio »

My kickstarter has play and therefore lightly grinds against the drive face nut.

Any ideas? I want to ride her
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Re: Loose kickstarter

Post by Meloshameless »

There's a spring behind that half moon shaped gear.
It holds the kick start in that upper position and also kicks it back up after kick starting it.
That spring is either worn or not in correctly.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

It sounds like the spindle is not pushed far enough. The spindle is the half moon piece.
Take off the kick start lever. If you inspect the spindle by where the kick start lever is you will see a groove for a retaining circlip. It goes washer then retaining circlip. The circlip should snap into place. If there is not enough room to seat the circlip in the grove then look at the spring. Sometimes the spring buckles a little under the spindle and will not allow you to push the spindle up far enough for the clip to seat properly. I hope that make sense. When you get it all back together properly you should be able to lightly tap the end off the spindle with a rubber mallet were the kick start hooks up and see if the clip is holding. You will want to vey lightly oil the idler gear. The other washer goes behind the idler gear. Sometimes the bush of the spindle can be worn out and it can cause slop while kicking the kick start. That should point you in the right direction.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

thanks taz I think I may have forgotten the washer!
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

does the washer and circlip fit outside the casing? my kickstarter is also loose and will grind if i wobble it. i think i see that groove you are talking about on the spindle. where would i find a replacement washer and circlip? im not sure on the sizing for each.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe
- Lots of plans, Skeleton Scoot.

"It may not be fast or pretty but it's mine."
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Post by Jackstickley »

circlip was there but out of place. i widened a washer and slid it into position and attached the circlip properly. the spindle now stays in position but my spring seems to be faulty. and wont force the kickstart back up into position after starting the engine.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe
- Lots of plans, Skeleton Scoot.

"It may not be fast or pretty but it's mine."
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

These can be a bit finicky on the position of everything on the inside of the cover. Mine was like that for awhile and it took me a few tries to get everything just right to get it to work properly. If everything is there I'd say keep messing with it till works. The half moon gear that is attached to kick starter needs to be in the exact position and for me if it wasn't it did the same thing.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY