94 Honda Elite SR50 help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

RavinRace
Noob
Noob

94 Honda Elite SR50 help

Post by RavinRace »

I purchased this moped off craigslist a few years ago for $125 bucks. It is in pretty good shape but didn't run. I finally got it to start but it would not stay running and would die. It is currently torn apart and I am stuck. I think it is the carb but I could be wrong. Any advice on what to do or attempt to do would be greatly appreciated.
motormike

Re: 94 Honda Elite SR50 help

Post by motormike »

You're probably right, it is likely the carburetor is dirty and glazed inside with varnish from evaporating fuel. Takes some careful cleaning and inspection to get it right. Often it takes several times to get fully cleaned. You give us very little info to help you find the problem, but from what you've said, the diagnosis is clean it.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
RavinRace
Noob
Noob

Post by RavinRace »

Yeah I don't really know much about it. So I will tear it apart and clean everything really well and let you know if that fixes the problem. I think I would like to eventually mod it but I'd like to get it in running order before that so I don't waste my money. If this carb is not fixable what would be an upgraded carb that works for it?
RavinRace
Noob
Noob

Post by RavinRace »

Okay so I tried starting it and it will run and immediately go full throttle even though I do not turn the throttle and then it will die. What is causing that? I have taken the carb off and now and am in the process of cleaning it.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Sounds like its leaning out, so air leak of some sort. Check where carb connects to intake, intake to block (reed cage area). Crank seals. Ive also had a bike were i turned handle bars to right an it would rev cuz my throttle cable was pinching..
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

RavinRace wrote:Okay so I tried starting it and it will run and immediately go full throttle even though I do not turn the throttle and then it will die. What is causing that? I have taken the carb off and now and am in the process of cleaning it.
When you re-install the cable and slide back into the carburetor, be sure the slide is going in easily-do not force it. Before you do that, inspect the slide to see if there are scratches on the side, it would indicate that you have installed it incorrectly before. TIP: The bevel on the bottom if the slide faces the air box side. Then be sure the idle adjustment is backed out so that the slide is not open more than a sliver. The other causes of a scooter starting up at wot are, as mentioned, LARGE air leak, or the cable is out of adjustment, or, the slide and/or carburetor is incorrect for you scooter. Posting up some pics is always helpful........as there may be other issues not yet revealed.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
RavinRace
Noob
Noob

Post by RavinRace »

Alright so that was a quick fix. Turns out the slide on the throttle cable in the carb was put in wrong. Put it in right, set the idle screw and it runs like a champ now. Will post some pictures up after I get it all painted and cleaned up. Any suggestions on where to start on modifications? And does anyone have the bottom left long trim piece that runs along the foot pad? I am in need of one. That is the only plastic piece that is damaged.
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Best bang for your buck if probably a new variator for starters. Great improvement over stock.
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
motormike

Post by motormike »

RavinRace wrote:And does anyone have the bottom left long trim piece that runs along the foot pad? I am in need of one.
Glad for your success... :thumbwink:
I appreciate people who reply with the problem they found.
It helps many more people who are smart enough to read the forum.
Thank you sir... :urban:
Oh yeah, place an ad for the parts you want instead of leaving it in your thread to die without notice.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"