87 elite s dies when hitting a bump

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

87 elite s dies when hitting a bump

Post by needmoreinfo »

When I hit a bump the scooter dies. When I start it back up it will idle but die again if I give it gas. I have to slowly rev it until it recovers. I dont know what it is but I am assuming its something to do with fuel in the carburetor? Too much or too little I dont know. I was thinking of checking the jet for debris but I dont really know. Could the choke be engaging? Another symptom is that it starts up perfectly after its been sitting for a week, but when its warmed up it needs some gas to start up or it wont.

Thanks
Joemeyster3k
Noob
Noob

Re: 87 elite s dies when hitting a bump

Post by Joemeyster3k »

I would check your exhaust maybe before anything. I'm not a professional this is probably where I would start. Have you cleaned it in a long time. THe only reason why say that is you may be knocking some carbon loose whenever you hit a bump blocking the exhaust and maybe after a bunch of attempts to start it you get it loose by compressed air when trying to kick start over and over.Hope this helps good luck I would start with the free stuff first lol .
Wheelman-111

Re: 87 elite s dies when hitting a bump

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Verify the carb mount bolts are not stripped before removing exhaust. While the plastics are off, check all wiring for loose connectors, starting with the spark plug, coil and related wiring. Fuel supply problem is an unlikely source.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH