I cant get my clutch apart and I bent the * out of it

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

I cant get my clutch apart and I bent the * out of it

Post by needmoreinfo »

I got my new 1500 rpm main clutch spring in and was going to install it. I was able to get the bell off using the clutch holder from amazon. I then was trying to figure out how to disassemble it. I found a video of a guy online that had it clamped and together and then unscrewed the large nut. I put it in a vice but it did not compress the it instead it bent it pretty bad. I did my best of straightening it back out but Im pretty bummed. It looks pretty rusty so I probably want to get a new clutch anyway but I guess I need to get a new clutch assembly? I put it all back together and it seems to run ok but I do not like the fact that I bent the disk. I saw a new assembly on ebay but I still dont know how to take it apart, not sure if its rusted shut or i just totally fudged it. Either way I hope to get some feedback from you lovely people.

thx
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Re: I cant get my clutch apart and I bent the * out of it

Post by Johnniespeed »

I just spin the nut off with an pneumatic impact wrench it only pops apart a couple inches. When I am done doing whatever I am doing in there, I use my press to compress the cover enough to start the nut onto the threads. I usually glass bead any parts of the clutch that don't look like new, and grease up the slides.
Here is a sample of the parts breakdown, helps to know where everything goes, link. http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... riven-face
You could use Babbitts online to find your scooters clutch, just navigate back to year, model , select your bike.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
patthesoundguy

Re: I cant get my clutch apart and I bent the * out of it

Post by patthesoundguy »

I have a tutorial here on how to service the driven pulley. I sit on a stool or lawn chair, put my feet on the driven pulley to compress the spring then I use either the impact or the socket on the handle to remove the nut. It can also be done with an adjustable wrench but having the socket is the best way. I remove the nut while holding the assembly together and then slowly release my feet. Fast and easy.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock