New 2007 Elite won't start.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

indy111
BMX
BMX

New 2007 Elite won't start.

Post by indy111 »

I've got a brand new 2007 Elite 80 with 115 miles on it. I can't get it started. I drained the gas and added fresh, changed the plug and put in a new battery. I ran all the bad gas out of the carb. I took the fuel line off the carb and turned it over and gas flows nicely. So do I need to soak the carb in the carb cleaner or am I missing something. Thanks
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: New 2007 Elite won't start.

Post by eclark5483 »

Only 115 miles, I am assuming it has been sitting for quite some time. That air filter is probably junk. Might wanna consider changing that out. On my Spree, that is what prevented it from starting. Put a couple cap fulls of 2 stroke oil on the filter and smoosh it a bit to let it soak in. If your lucky it will get into the pores without crumbling. If it starts crumbling or chunks start falling off, for sure you will need to replace it. I'm not saying that is the reason it won't start, but it is something you should take a look at.
EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

I'd imagine with that low miles, the carb is probably gunked up inside. Never hurts to clean the carb and slap a new filter on it.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

You can prime the carb with your hand. Just put your hand over the mouth of the carb and kick or electric start it until you feel a little gas hit your palm. Then after that it should start. If not you might want to get a new plug and I would deff clean the carb. If this scooter sat for a long time I bet there is 2 stroke oil in the engine. Pull the plug and kick or electric start it and if you see oil shooting out of the plug hole your engine is full of oil. You need to drain that out before you start it. You will also need to take the muffler off so all that oil won't shoot into the muffler and smoke like crazy when you get it running. I usually tip the scooter upside down and place a towel underneath the cylinder. Hit the electric start and oil will shoot out onto the towel. After that start it with the muffler off to purge the rest of the oil. Do not rev it. It will purge the oil out very fast. You only to run it like 2 seconds to purge the rest of the oil. This should get you pointed in the right direction.

Taz
indy111
BMX
BMX

Post by indy111 »

Thanks for the help and advice. Fortunately the carb was just gunked up and there was no oil in the cylinder. I ran into a problem cleaning the carb. A small brass fitting fell out and Im not sure where it came from. I tried to find it in the manual but don't seem to see it. I'm trying to find a different manual with 89-2007 specs. and diagrams. I believe the fitting is a needle jet or jet needle set fitting. I ran the scooter not knowing the brass fitting wasn't in there, the scooter was missing pretty bad. I fouled the plug. I ended up finding the brass piece laittle later and figured it was part of my problem. I just can't figure out where it goes. Any help? Thanks.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Might go into a small hole located in the carb bowl.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified