1984 Gyro Seat, Manaul, etc.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

BIndi
Noob
Noob

1984 Gyro Seat, Manaul, etc.

Post by BIndi »

Post deleted.
Last edited by BIndi on Wed May 25, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Help Needed to Open 1984 Gyro Seat, Find Manaul, etc.

Post by vintagegarage »

Bindi,
1. The release for the seat is a keyed lock that uses the same key as the ignition switch. It is on the left side of the body below the seat, below the lower back edge of the seat. Sounds like your seat lock is missing or bunged up. You do say that there is a place by the seat to put a key in, so I am confused by your reference to a bolt. To open the seat, you put the key in the seat lock and turn the key and the seat pops up.
The brochure is at the link below and it shows the key lock below and to the rear of the seat on the left side:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Brochu ... 4-Gyro.pdf

Also look at this link:
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Gyro/Gyro.html

2. The service manual is available online for free. The model is NN50. You can get a copy at the link below:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manual ... Manual.pdf

3. Gas is on at the 6:00 Position and off at the 9:00 Position

4. Can't help you on this.. They are pretty simple machines, and I think any good scooter mechanic with the shop manual can fix anything on it.

5. Rear tires are easy to get. Look at the service manual to see the size. It is also printed on a sticker near your right heel when you sit in the seat. That sticker also suggests the proper air pressure for the tires. I suggest getting Bridgestone HOOPs.. they are widely available and work well.

6. Many new parts are still available through your Honda Powersports dealer Honda or online at parts sites such as:

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... md-a-parts

Both your local dealer and online retailers share the same database for parts, so if one doesn't have a part, none of them have the part. If a part is not available, and you need it, then look for it on eBay or post a wanted advertisement on this forum.

7. No, there really isn't much of an option for souping up a 1984 Gyro. Running properly, you should be able to go 34 mph on level ground.

8. Most likely, your odometer reading is correct, although there are many ways to change the reading, including simply swapping out the speedometer instrument itself. 1409 would be considered low mileage for a Gyro.

9. The price you can get for it depends on your location and if you have a title for it in your name. In Florida, a non-running Gyro with no title would be worth about $300, but with a Florida title, it would be worth about $700, and running very well in very clean shape, about $900 with Florida title.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Bindi, dear.
You have bitten off far too much for your apparent ability.
You have paid twice too much for it. I won't try to answer the individual questions, as I assume vintagegarage did a good job.
I suspect you have no business owning a scooter, let alone riding one.
I am so sorry to tell you these things, but I am just being honest.
My own capacity for riding has been diminished by health difficulties.
Find another way too keep active with you life...but look again critically at the notion you are capable of scooters.
Best wishes...mm
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
BIndi
Noob
Noob

Post by BIndi »

Vintagegarage, thank you so much for your excellent post. I'm very appreciative.

I finally realized that the lock for the seat is broken. When you put the key in, it doesn't fit or turn. I turned the outside (the part I said looks kind of like a nut) and it opened. So I just won't be able to lock it.

Motormike, dear, your post doesn't deserve a reply.
motormike

Post by motormike »

BIndi wrote:Vintagegarage, thank you so much for your excellent post. I'm very appreciative.

I finally realized that the lock for the seat is broken. When you put the key in, it doesn't fit or turn. I turned the outside (the part I said looks kind of like a nut) and it opened. So I just won't be able to lock it.

Motormike, dear, your post doesn't deserve a reply.
I understand your feeling this way, really.
The comments you made in the original post pointed clearly to your lack of having a comprehensive understanding of the Honda NN50MD.
No, Honda dealers will generally refuse to work on vintage bikes, especially such obscure models that are no longer supported with parts supplies.
Your asking if "tires cracked" is something to worry about shows me you don't understand much about tires.
When you started talking about having your dog trotting along side of you on a scooter, I had visions of serious carnage with you at the center of a very nasty accident.
Take what you will from this harsh, but honest assessment of your status as potential scooterist.
You asked...mm...Edit: Item#6- parts are not as readily available as normal contemporary models I except in limited categories, easy to get is relative to ones hunting talents and savvy.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I agree with motor mike, he was kind of blunt but he is just watching for your safety, sell the bike and get a cane. If a fall can hurt you that much you ahouldnt risk it. Also who ever you brought that gyro from scammed you big time on price, sorry to day, it may make a nice collectors piece but not for riding in your health. From one to another my advice is a grain of salt. How you taste it is up to you and only you.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Bindi,
The real problem here is that you assumed that a Gyro would handle like a three wheel mobility scooter. Since Gyro's aren't made to be driven with the tilt lock in the locked position, if you do end up riding your Gyro, you will find it no more stable than a 2 wheel scooter, and likely your Gyro will even feel a bit more wobbly than a 2 wheel scooter. I agree with motormike and MrJumps that you will hurt yourself with the Gyro and that you shouldn't try to ride it. If you stay committed to riding a scooter with your dog alongside, maybe you should look into three wheel mobility scooters. They are made to be more stable with a wide track rear end and no tilting mechanism. Have a look at the website below, and then do a google search for Off Road Mobility Scooter:

http://www.epicsontech.com/electric-sco ... y-scooter/