spree kick start panel painting

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

spree kick start panel painting

Post by jakubman1 »

I picked up a kick start side cover for my 85 spree. Comes with all the works 75$. Its in need of a cleaning ,greasing and panting. There are some nasty scratches on the cover and wanted to know the best route for making it pretty again. Where to grease what type of paint and which grit of sand paper for the scratches. How Should I clean the mechanism and pulley on it ? Thanks
Jakub
Attachments
$_12-3.JPG
$_12-3.JPG (41.66 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
$_12-2.JPG
$_12-2.JPG (34.01 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Re: spree kick start panel painting

Post by kuromi »

If you want a bling look, you could try polishing the cases.

I got mine to come up like chrome with a cheapo polishing kit.
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Where should I look for this cheapo polish kit ? Some scratches look deep. What about the front pulley for the belt?
Harbor freight ?
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Yep got my polish kit from harbor freight. Had the same issue with a kicker case i bought. I used the soft green dremel bits also from harbor freight to get the scratches flat. Use 800 sand paper after. Then 1200 wet sand. Then polish. It'll come chrome and you'll see ur reflection. After that i clear coated to protect it.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

For the inside or the outside of the kicker panel? I was thinking of just using brake cleaner on the inner then reading the manual for grease points. And sanding and painting on the outer.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

If you do plan on painting it though, I'd suggest using some VHT (Very High Temp) paint on it. Heat won't be too much of an issue, but the VHT paint will ensure you get a longer life out of the paint without any flaking or other anomalies later on down the line when it meets it's HDUL (Heat Deflection Under Load).
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Well come to find out. My moon gear has cracks running through the teeth :evil: . Does anyone know where i can find a new moon gear? The spring and other little gear seem to be ok though.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I wouldn't worry too much about the inside, other than to get it functional, clean and reliable

Depends on the look you are going for really. Stock or shiny?
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Stock. Half moon gear has cracks along teeth. Kinda sketchy. Also driven face is beyond repair.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I've just done a set of AF18 covers in Matt black. Gave them a quick scuff with some 240 wet and dry, cleaned them down and then a couple of coats.

I reckon if you knock the scratches down, sand as much of them out as you can then spray it with some matt or semi gloss silver metallic you'll be pretty pleased with the result

Hit up the For sale section of the forum for the kicker parts you need ;)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Ultraliner wrote:I've just done a set of AF18 covers in Matt black. Gave them a quick scuff with some 240 wet and dry, cleaned them down and then a couple of coats.

I reckon if you knock the scratches down, sand as much of them out as you can then spray it with some matt or semi gloss silver metallic you'll be pretty pleased with the result

Hit up the For sale section of the forum for the kicker parts you need ;)
I beg to differ, and pretty sure I'm more qualified to address painting as I do it for a living at Polaris Industries. 240 is too rough. If he wants to restore back to the original finish, he is gonna want to do 340 dry, then 600 wet, then paint. If he wants to look a bit rougher, then go 240 dry and 340 wet. If he wants a mirror finish, then go 240 dry, then 340 dry, then 600 dry or wet, then 1500 wet, then finally buff with K211 Finesse compound for a glass like mirror finish.