Purchased used 84 Honda Spree...Drive Belt System wack?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Marrowbeorn
Noob
Noob

Purchased used 84 Honda Spree...Drive Belt System wack?

Post by Marrowbeorn »

Hi there,

So i'm very new to scooter life. I came across a killer deal on a honda spree and couldn't pass it up. It wasn't running at first and we figured out it was the drive pulley assembly that was loose. We noticed that the little grooves on the outer face werent lining up with the ones on the inside so we took out a washer that turned out to be neccessary (didn't realize at the time). It still drove until it had trouble going, I took it apart and saw that the inner drive pulley was burning/grinding into the metal.

I ended up buying a replacement washer and putting it together again. It drove pretty well, but it seemed to get really hot where the drive pulley/clutch is. I'm not sure if that's normal but it soon broke down and after I took it apart I noticed the washer I had replaced had broken in half. Maybe from the heat?

So here we are now, I ordered a new washer, a new belt (the heat/friction seemed to ruin the other one) and tried to put it together again. it seems to be a tight fit, the little teeth don't match up with the outer drive pulley face...but it still drives if I tighten the nut really tight... but it still got realllly hot.

I'm sorry I don't know the right lingo..and this might be very confusing. I just really want to figure this out. It seems like an easy fix?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Molly
Attachments
the new washer
the new washer
IMG_4444.JPG (183.53 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
IMG_4440.JPG
IMG_4440.JPG (107.89 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
the inner teeth of this pulley face don't match up
the inner teeth of this pulley face don't match up
IMG_4446.JPG (93.88 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Purchased used 84 Honda Spree...Drive Belt System wack?

Post by eclark5483 »

At work, but to be quick, the first picture tells the tale. I'm sure someone will explain here in a bit.
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

That happened to me once that washer is required tp provide proper spacing and keep the drive face from grinding into the engine crankcase like that i went ahead and salvaged the motor and swapped in a variated af05e you also running without a left side cover gasket? Double whammy witjout the gasket and washer
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

Also looks like the gear in the 3rd photo is sitting wrong on the crankshaft take a pic of the teeth and threads of the crankshaft
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Having to tighten the nut on the crankshaft real tight makes me think that when the front sprocket was put on, the splines on the crankshaft were not lined up with the splines on the sprocket. If they are not lined up when tightening, the crankshaft splines will be damaged. Check the crankshaft splines. Hopefully they are still good. If the splines are gone.....so is the crankshaft.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Fitting the front drive face back on these can be a real pain. You need to pinch the belt together and get it to pull down into the rear halves to create a loop at the front big enough to fit the drive face on correctly. Can be done on your own but might be easier to have a second pair of hands to hold it pinched and the loop in the front while you fit the drive face.

But yeah, if you cranked it up too hard not sitting correctly and not lined up with the crank splines then you could have a problem :(
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Here's an easy way to reinstall the front pulley/ belt/ and clutch assembly. Squeeze the clutch bell and the outer pulley of the clutch together as much as you can and put a small wood wedge between the pulley halves. Be careful, the spring has some tension. Loop the belt onto the clutch pulley and install onto the shaft with the wood wedge toward the front of the motor. This should give you plenty of slack to put the front pulley together, making sure that the splines on the pulley are lined up with the splines on the crankshaft. Torque the drive pulley nut and the clutch nut to 25-29 ft lbs. Be sure to take out the wood wedge and you are good to go. Good luck.
Marrowbeorn
Noob
Noob

Post by Marrowbeorn »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am a bit confused about where the belt seems to fit between the two drive faces...it seems impossible to fit the front drive face onto the splines with the belt in the middle. I will try the pinching (although I don't quite understand where to pinch seeing as i'm new to the technical terms) and wedging some wood in. I added some more photos of the splines and the first drive face. Does it seem saveable?
Attachments
fjdl.jpg
fjdl.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
the belt sits where the arrow points-is it supposed to be sitting higher up?
the belt sits where the arrow points-is it supposed to be sitting higher up?
index.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
the splines look somewhat stripped but it still fits on
the splines look somewhat stripped but it still fits on
index2.jpg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
Marrowbeorn
Noob
Noob

Post by Marrowbeorn »

I'm also not sure there is a spring...
Attachments
dkldjf.jpg
dkldjf.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 5691 times