Dio variator in af16 elite issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dustflo
Goped
Goped

Dio variator in af16 elite issues

Post by dustflo »

Recently installed a new polini variator for dio on my 97 elite 50, stock bore with 9:1 gears. Due to the drive boss being longer than the stock elite boss, i bought and installed the dio width belt and shimmed out my kick cover for everything to fit.

On my first run with this setup, my rpm's went down 200-300 and top speed dropped by 3-4 mph. Felt slight vibration at low speed, scooter felt like it had a lot more torque but look at those dissapointing numbers...

Anyone running this setup? Was suggested I prob need stronger center and clutch shoe springs and my stock setup might be slipping now. Suggestions? Past experience with this setup? Thanks a lot
Last edited by dustflo on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
My scooter is this color, and I like it.
97 Elite SA50
bonesv

Re: variator/springs question

Post by bonesv »

So you're using the 18mm wide x 654 bando belt with the polini variator and polini boss? The clutch is bone stock-springs and all? What weight and type rollers are in the variator when it does this? Is this on a stock motor, or bbk?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Yes to the belt, variator and boss. No bbk. Stock elite everything in the clutch. Running 7 gram dr pulley sliders.
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Bump
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Re: Dio variator in af16 elite issues

Post by dustflo »

Would it be best to shim the kick cover out as much as possible or just enough for it to function? Wonder if i have my kick cover case to close and that could be one of my issues, not hearing any binding or grinding, just wondering..
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Also maybe try rollers instead of sliders? I ran it again with a different ramp plate, take off got way worse, was grabbing at a lower rpm but seems like it took a lot more just to get it to move.
97 Elite SA50
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I don't know what gears you have in but it's always best to have a few different size roller weights to tune with. A 230 lb. rider may need lighter weights versus a 130 lb. rider. There are just a bunch of variables with which you will have to adjust to. Springs are always best to be tried for ones self to see the differences and make a selection based on personal preference. I think hardly anyone could get it right on the first try unless you have previous experience. Try putting the stock belt and stock boss back on with just the Polini variator and see what that feels like.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Worth a shot, ill try it out. You could put me in the 200lb exactly cateogory. Also wanted to examine the belt tightness. Will guague whats on now, the dio size belt which to me feels a little lose vs my elite size belt. And i actually didnt get the Bando brand belt but did get the correct 18mm size dio belt, the 654 18 30 I believe.
97 Elite SA50
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

There are many variables best is trial and error. Keep good records and make one change at a time are good rules of thumb. It took me months to get the GOOCH dialed. Every bike is different so just be systematic and keep at it. I spent countless hours reading about clutches and this and that and this again. Still don't know s*** really but knowing what each component does sure does
help.

You'd know if your cover wasn't shimmed enough. Happened to me once and kicker wouldn't work and I'm sure if the clutch was rubbing you'd probably be aware.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

So did a run with the polini variator, stock elite boss, stock elite belt...sucked. Take off took like 3 to 4 seconds for it to move at all. Top speed was actually pretty good but took awhile to get there. Next i wanna try polini variator with the polini boss and stock elite belt.
97 Elite SA50
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

How heavy is your weights ?
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

7 gram dr pulley sliders
97 Elite SA50
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

dustflo wrote:So did a run with the polini variator, stock elite boss, stock elite belt...sucked. Take off took like 3 to 4 seconds for it to move at all. Top speed was actually pretty good but took awhile to get there. Next i wanna try polini variator with the polini boss and stock elite belt.
This does not sound right to me. That belt must be worn badly. How old is the stock belt? Can you measure the width? Those dr. slider weights are 7 gram?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

bonesv wrote:
dustflo wrote:So did a run with the polini variator, stock elite boss, stock elite belt...sucked. Take off took like 3 to 4 seconds for it to move at all. Top speed was actually pretty good but took awhile to get there. Next i wanna try polini variator with the polini boss and stock elite belt.
This does not sound right to me. That belt must be worn badly. How old is the stock belt? Can you measure the width? Those dr. slider weights are 7 gram?
Belt IS and looks pretty brand new. A polini belt from SSS. Yes, my weights are 7 gram dr pulley sliders.
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

graphite9 wrote:you need to pull that boss, and put the oem one back in.

on the polini vari with stock width belt you need to run the oem boss in the polini vari. easy fix.
This is exactly what I ran today, (polini variator, stock elite belt, stock elite boss) and from a dead stop, gave it full throttle, the scooter feel like its stuck, like the belt is stuck and it goes about 2 miles and hour for a solid 3-4 seconds then it starts to pickup. Something is definitely not right..
97 Elite SA50