Wheels feel tight

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Piechey
BMX
BMX

Wheels feel tight

Post by Piechey »

I recently got my scoot running and am dying to take it for a spin. Unfortunately both front and rear wheels feel ectremely tight. I am not sure why. They will not spin freely. Should I grease the axles and spacers? Could my brakes be tightening up for some reason? Even if I disconnect my brake lines to release tension the wheels still do not spin without a lot of force.
'84 Honda Spree (s**** broke mane)
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Re: Wheels feel tight

Post by Dbroogs »

Check to see if the brake arm is engaged. Happened to me once as the springs that force them out can get old.

Doesn't hurt to take them off and inspect and reattach too.
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Stock setup: 6g rollers, 90MJ
Wheelman-111

Re: Wheels feel tight

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The bearings can wear out, but I'm betting it's the brakes. The cable that connects to the brake arm operates a cam-type steel shaft that's a firm fit in the aluminum hub. Dissimilar metals notoriously produce corrosion on one another. The result is that the surface of both metals try to expand and "grow", causing eventual seizure. With the brake cable detached, see if your brake arms move completely freely. If they feel stiff, disassemble and examine. You may actually have to "persuade" the shafts out of their sockets with a BFH. Then scrub the shaft and ream the hole - a little! - and lube generously. Just make sure to use a high-temperature grease, and don't get any inside the hub where it could contaminate the pads or drum.

Remember that at the rear brake there's a coil spring that compresses into an "L" shape and assists the brake arm retraction. I have been known to lose or forget that spring is there and its absence produces a draggy rear brake.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH