96 EliteS miss issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

96 EliteS miss issue

Post by MentalJunkyard »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, this scooter, and 2 cycles in general, but I have been reading up on the subject while getting this thing running. It had been parked for 2 years, so new fuel in it, removed and cleaned the carb, new tubes in the tires, new battery, and now it starts and runs Ok... until it gets fully warmed up, then it has a miss and no power above 1/3 throttle. I let it warm up for a few minutes, then eased into the throttle. It ran GREAT, all the way to it's stock limit of 25 mph. until the end of the block, when it started to sputter. After that, top speed was only about 12 mph. I'm thinking the likely suspects are spark plug, coil, or perhaps the automatic choke. But there are more experienced minds out there. If it is the plug, what's the recommendation?
Last edited by MentalJunkyard on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Re: 96 EliteS miss issue

Post by MentalJunkyard »

I just realized that there is no filter element in the airbox. Perhaps that is part of the problem?
MentalJunkyard
BMX
BMX

Post by MentalJunkyard »

update: new air filter installed (bought via the forum support link), reset the air screw and she runs now. Still bogs a bit at mid-throttle, and having trouble keeping a consistent idle speed, but nothing too bad. Next step is to turn things up a bit so I can keep up with traffic a little better.
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

Alright! some one in Indiana that's rides some thing other than a Tao Tao, welcome to the forum!