1987 Spree Bogs at Full Throttle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

pprice
BMX
BMX

1987 Spree Bogs at Full Throttle

Post by pprice »

So I have a 1985 Spree that I swapped a 1987 motor on to that I recently got running. Everything seems to be working fine except at full throttle. It will run fine on the centerstand and if you gradually bring it up to full throttle on a flat road. As soon as I get to a hill which puts extra load on the engine or if I go straight to wide open throttle, it will kill the engine unless I let off the throttle.

I was thinking it was a carb issue, but I can't figure it out. I have the air screw adjusted to 1 3/8 turns out and then found the highest idle speed (pretty much in the same spot) and then adjusted the throttle stop screw down until the wheel stopped spinning when on the centerstand.
pprice
BMX
BMX

Re: 1987 Spree Bogs at Full Throttle

Post by pprice »

Update: Only seems to start bogging when warm. Right at cold start up it runs fine until it gets warm and then starts bogging. Makes it seem like the bystarter to me.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

needle jet moves up 1 line, meaning clip moves down, try this.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Is there any chance that you are using the 1985 bystarter in the 1987 carb?
pprice
BMX
BMX

Post by pprice »

It's an aftermarket bystarter off of eBay since the one that came with was broken
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

With the bystarter installed in the carb, and the carb in your hand, what are the results of the bystarter test that is described on page 4-4 in the Spree workshop manual?
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Fully stock air cleaner assembly in place ? ( no holes drilled)
Filter correctly oiled and in place ?
Stock air filter lid in place ?
Air filter lid gasket in place ?
Air filter lid screw in place ?
Correct hose with clamps between carb and filter box ?

The Spree is extremely sensitive and needs the fully stock air cleaner correctly installed.
After getting about four Sprees up and running, I figured out how sensitive they are, the next twelve Sprees went much easier. ( my boss has a fleet of Sprees )
Sprees are a great running scooter once you figure this out.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

I was asked to figure out a scooter drivability Issue on an two stroke 50cc 2011 Jonway, seems it would start easy, accelerate okay from a stop, but when accelerating over half throttle the engine would die, unless the throttle was released. ( sounds just like your Spree)
Guess what ?? the air filter and filter lid was missing. I ordered a new stock air cleaner box assembly off Ebay.
Installed that air cleaner assembly, after properly oiling the filter foam and guess what, the engine accelerates fully now,
No other changes were made other than that ,those tiny displacement engines are sensitive to air flow with stock jetting.

Did you have time to do anything further on your Spree ?
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
pprice
BMX
BMX

Post by pprice »

I was out of town this weekend so I didn't really have any time to do work on the Spree. I did bring it with me for the weekend and rode it quite a bit. I ended up just unplugging the bystarter and things seemed to run better with no bogging after it warmed up. I'm going to do the bystarter test this week hopefully.

The air filter is new, properly oiled, and properly installed. The air cover and screw are all installed correctly as well with no extra holes drilled in the intake. The tube that connects to the carb doesn't sit on there very well though and that could be letting some extra air in. I have yet to figure out a solution to get that to stay on better.